Songs for an 18 year old

What's Hot
uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
We're a covers band - 2 guitars, bass, drums, 3 singers and we've been asked to play at the 18th birthday of a friends daughter.  Any suggestions for some modern stuff we could throw in?  Obviously fairly easy to learn as a, we're not ultra talented and b, we'll probably have 2 or 3 practice sessions to prepare.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'd guess a few Sheeran songs would go well and should be easy enough to play if not sing. 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4092
    18 and life - skid row
    18 - Alice Cooper
    F#ck like a beast- WASP 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ooh you said modern.  Doh
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I'd probably find one of those YouTube videos that explain how every pop song since 2001 can be played with 4 chords then pick some of those out. 

My 18 year old son has done band stuff with other 18 year olds and it tends to be relatively recent indieish like The Kooks. Although my standard answer for party tunes is Silver Machine on an endless loop. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • enjoenjo Frets: 278
    It was a long time since I was 18 but Katy Perry's Hot & Cold or Roar are pretty easy, fun and modernish.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    edited January 2019
    It doesn't have to be up to the minute stuff, nobody is more nostalgic for songs from their childhood than teenagers. 

We do loads of Amy Winehouse, Jason Mraz, Paulo Nutini, George Ezra, Jessie J, Ed Sheeran, Adele, Florence and the Machine, that kind of stuff. 

Pop songs from the last ten years tend to be way easier to play than 70s/80s songs as a gross generalisation, All About That Bass is a simple rock n roll riff and chord structure for example.

As a band most of our support is 18-30 year old girls (we have a couple of hip young girl singers) and they go crazy if you play stuff from when they were 11 or 12, rather than current chart music. 

Actually I kind of like it, I'd rather play Grenade than Sweet Home Alabama any time. 
  • WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 165
    We do a couple of Bruno Mars songs that are catchy and pretty easy but fun to play - Runaway Baby and Locked Out of Heaven. Shake it Off by Taylor Swift - is another one like this.