(Laziness warning) is there an app that will listen to a track...

What's Hot
and lift the drum part from it?

Basically I've got dozens of old songs I've written and they've been recorded at rehearsals or soundchecks either on a simple dictaphone or camera.

As I'm monumentally lazy and I'm not a drummer, does an app exist that can "drum grab" from a recording to give midi patterns that can then be used in a good drum plug-in?

And the moon on a stick while you're at it, please!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Yes there are such things. Look-up ‘drum replacer’. You load the audio and VST into your DAW and it does what you describe I believe. I think Steven Slate does one (?)
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24272
    Wow!

Thank you. I'll look for that.
    $149 
    booooooo!

• GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    $149 
    booooooo!

Nobody said laziness would be cheap ;)
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Seems there are some free and demo options from other places. I’ll have to try some out at the weekend.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    If you are thinking of something like TRIGGER, don't expect good results unless you have good isolated drum tracks in the first place, and it is tricky to get just kicks to register as kicks, snares as snares, so its not really doing the job you are asking.
    I get better results by trying to find midi drum loops that match original recording, time consuming stuff.
    I don't think anything exists that does exactly what you need, on anything other than isolated drum tracks, sorry.
    if you do find anything--let me know.
    I don't have anything isolated - it's all single mic live recording.
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    I think you'll struggle not having them isolated. 

The tracker functionality works really well in Superior Drummer 3, but only for direct mic'd drums (even then you have to do some mild tweaking). however, where I hadn't mic'd the hi-hat separately (ran out of mics when I did the original recordings back in 2009) I can't use the tracker function for the room mics as it can't pick out the hi-hat properly (which is why I bought that midi pad) 
    Right then.

I'll have to find some loops that match most of it, and then learn to play the pads for the other bits.

Goody!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    It won't work unless you have isolated drums.
    You can isolate the drums using Izotope RX- it is pretty phenomenal what it can do, but it is very expensive for this purpose (it is a complete suite of tools.)

If you PM me I can run the track through RX for you, then you can load it into Superior Tracker or Slate Trigger.

In all honesty though it would almost be less work to just program them.
    octatonic said:
    You can isolate the drums using Izotope RX- it is pretty phenomenal what it can do, but it is very expensive for this purpose (it is a complete suite of tools.)

If you PM me I can run the track through RX for you, then you can load it into Superior Tracker or Slate Trigger.

How effective is it with things like cymbals from an overhead mic @octatonic ?
    PVO_Dave said:
    octatonic said:

Which do you mean- RX isolating/removing other instruments or Superior/Slate Trigger managing the replacement?
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Wouldn't EZ Drummer give you an approximation, at least something
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    octatonic said:
    PVO_Dave said:
    octatonic said:

Which do you mean- RX isolating/removing other instruments or Superior/Slate Trigger managing the replacement?
    Sorry @octatonic ;, the RX isolation/removing 
    PVO_Dave said:
    octatonic said:
    PVO_Dave said:
    octatonic said:

Sorry @octatonic ;, the RX isolation/removing 
    It is pretty incredible.
    I did a test when I bought it on David Bowie's Heroes track.

I can remove the drums completely, other than some reverb artefacts.
    Same with the vocals- you can hear some of the breath intakes but that is about it- the vocals are ostensibly gone from the mix.

If I get a chance over the next few days I'll make a couple of examples.
    It is an incredible tool.
    Sounds amazing! - I might see if the free trial does it, I'd only need to do it for 4 tracks :) 
  • Drum parts are like the easiest bit of music to transcribe, id prob just program it.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Drum parts are like the easiest bit of music to transcribe, id prob just program it.
    Maybe for you.

I have never done it.