Stewmac!

What's Hot
So I ordered a few things from Stewmac about Wednesday lunchtime.  I've just had notification that they're en route and will be delivered by the end of the day!

That's pretty a decent service!

Not sure how the import duty is going to work though, will I get a bill from HMRC or will FedEx demand paying at the door? 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28284
    Haych said:
    So I ordered a few things from Stewmac about Wednesday lunchtime.  I've just had notification that they're en route and will be delivered by the end of the day!

That's pretty a decent service!

Not sure how the import duty is going to work though, will I get a bill from HMRC or will FedEx demand paying at the door? 
    I ordered from America once and got a card through the door saying come to the post office to collect, you owe £xxx

I'd be interested to know how much you pay, I've always avoided Stewmac. I have twice ordered things for under £30 and avoided any extra payment!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Stewmac use USPS or DHL. If you chose USPS it'll arrive via Royal Mail and you'll get a card saying you owe HMRC. If DHL they should either ask for cash in advance via phone or email, or possibly just show up with the parcel and you pay then.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5607
    Defo says it's coming via FedEx.  Maybe they'll hand it over to a 3rd party, though?

Just pulled this off the FedEx website under their FAQs on imports duty and charges:

FedEx will expedite delivery of the shipment and seek reimbursement by issuing you an invoice for the import charges + administration fee after delivery of the shipment.

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    I was made aware of these guys the other day, they seem to either be the European distributor for Stewmac or carry a lot of their stock. I’ve not ordered from them yet but probably will when I need too. 

https://www.madinter.com/en/stewmac-en.html

Also, don’t discount G&W, they are great.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • miserneil said:
    Thanks for the pointer. I've bought wood from Madinter before, but didn't realise they carried Stewmac stock.

I've also bought from Stewmac in the US, paid 20€ fees and taxes on a $40 order  :'(
  • Haych said:
    Just pulled this off the FedEx website under their FAQs on imports duty and charges:

FedEx will expedite delivery of the shipment and seek reimbursement by issuing you an invoice for the import charges + administration fee after delivery of the shipment.

The administration fee will be next to nothing, as there's hardly any administration involved in issuing you an invoice is there?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Haych said:

The administration fee will be next to nothing, as there's hardly any administration involved in issuing you an invoice is there?
    Ha!  I won't hold my breath.

• Ok, if Fedex they'll likely just show up with a bill and the parcel. If your'e lucky you'll get an online payment link while it's in transit
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Ok, if Fedex they'll likely just show up with a bill and the parcel. If your'e lucky you'll get an online payment link while it's in transit
    FedEx have been and gone with the first half of the order - there's a second part still out for delivery today.  Maybe they'll turn up with a card machine when delivering the second bit.  I asked the first driver about the customs charges etc when I was signing for it and he just shrugged and said he didn't know.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28284
    miserneil said:
    I was made aware of these guys the other day, they seem to either be the European distributor for Stewmac or carry a lot of their stock. I’ve not ordered from them yet but probably will when I need too. 

G&W???
    axisus said:
    miserneil said:

G&W???
    I use them quite a lot, guitarsandwoods.com, based in Portugal.

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader

^ Guitars & Woods, based in Portugal, good gear & postage not bad either.

• rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:

@miserneil ; I reckon you've just saved me about £50 in import fees!  =)  buffing wheels needed.

Once I ordered a Pigtail bridge from Stewmac and it turned up super quick, no import fees and with a Norwegian postmark?? 

Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • I ordered a painting from the US came via FedEx, I got an invoice separately, £4.68 VAT and £12 Admin fee.
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    Haych said:

The admin fee is a fee for the courier using their disbursement account with HMRC to pay the tax/duty in advance on your behalf. Without this service your parcel would sit in customs until HMRC got round to sending a bill for you to settle, which could take weeks.
    Royal Mail/Parcelforce have two fees depending on the shipping service/speed - c.£8 and c. £13 for express shipping.
    Couriers usually charge a % of the amount collected with a minimum charge - I think Fedex is £12
    A real pain on low value imports as the value that VAT is due is £15 including shipping.
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    you should get an invoice through the letterbox about 1 week later, assuming they don't hold it for delivery until you pay.
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    you should get an invoice through the letterbox about 1 week later, assuming they don't hold it for delivery until you pay.
    No, they delivered the stuff and within about an hour I received a text message with a link to the customs charges payment. 

Really rather slick. So all paid and delivered in less than 48hrs of ordering from the US!

• Their service better be good for how much their tools cost. haha. Don't get me wrong. They make awesome stuff, but crazy expensive. 
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 760
    edited February 2019
    As others have said G&W in Portugal are good, as are G.M.I. in Greece (https://www.ebay.com/str/gmitoolsparts). I've ordered from both (via eBay) and had great service.