IEM units

What's Hot
My band is heading towards using in ears. The bass player has been using them for a while, the ACS system with the ambient mics and while he says the sound is good he has had to return it 3 times for faults.

The other guitar player is having a play with a cheap behringer unit to give it a try.

Im going to use a Palmer Junction or H&K redbox to DI to the desk but was wondering what would be a good budget innear transmitter/receiver unit to try to see if I get on with them. Don’t really want to go dirt cheap but not looking to spend through the nose either!

Any recommendations would be great, either including headphones not
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• What might be cheaper and quicker testing ground is a wired solution. Granted it's not as cool as wireless, but at least getting to grips with IEM mixes and the like. Fischer Amps from Germany have a load of stuff specifically with this in mind, I've used it a bit. I also use their IEMs and am super happy, though they're not cheap.

Also, don't be surprised if this thread ends up getting shifted to the Live forum... probably better suited there.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    Moved
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Do you move around alot on stage? If not a wired solution might be better. I use a Behringer Powerplay P1 which I highly recommend. It's mounted on my pedalboard. As far as earphones go the Shure SE215's are really the benchmark for entry level IEM earphones.
  • Definitely don’t move around too much so a wired solution is perfectly fine by me
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1156
    edited February 2019
    Definitely don’t move around too much so a wired solution is perfectly fine by me
    Okay. So here is my setup. I have the behringer P1 on my pedalboard. I run 2 XLR's from our mixer from my monitor sends into the P1 (I monitor in stereo as I run a Line 6 Helix in Stereo)

I then rigged up a custom made cable which is a guitar lead cable tied to a headphone extension cable. The headphone extension cable runs from the headphone out on the P1, the guitar cable plugs into the first pedal on your board as it normally would then into your guitar. You now can simply plug your IEM earphones into the end of the headphone extension cable which will be up at the guitar end of the custom made cable.

Does that make sense? 

I's worked really well for me and the custom cable I made has been going strong for nearly 2 years now.
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    Get a cable from @Danny1969 for a great wired iem solution. He does a dual cable that in one direction is your regular guitar-to-amp-or-pedalboard lead, and in the other direction takes your stereo iem feed from your amp top or pedalboard back to your iem earpieces. There’s a volume control in the cable for the iem feed that loops conveniently through your guitar strap. You are no more tethered than you normally would be by your guitar lead. It’s ace!