Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Brexit Prepping

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6098
edited February 2019 in Off Topic
Given the complete Brexit clusterf#ck, it seems like it might be a good idea to start prepping for the inevitable disaster of HMS Titanic..oops I mean UK, sinking into the abyss.

I've got a big chest freezer in my garage and plenty of shelving so I am wondering what foodstuffs to store in readiness for the day that Captain Rees-mogg stands proudly at the ship's helm, with a patriotic tear of happiness in his eye,  bellowing 'Land of Dope And Tory' whilst  saluting as our great ship slowly sinks beneath the waves.

I've read that whole chicken can be frozen for a year. For vegetables, it appears that the trick is to blanche many of them before freezing. Obviously I am planning on stocking up on tinned foodfood and pulses.

Does anyone on here use a food dryer/dehydrater?  This might be a good solution for storage should there be power cuts.
I'll probably stock up on general over the counter meds and first aid stuff.

Any general prepper tips for a newbie survivalist? 
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    equalsql said:

Just ensure that your gun is cleaned and oiled. You don't need to worry about food, your neighbours will give you theirs.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2573
    tFB Trader
    Kilgore said:
    equalsql said:

Just ensure that your gun is cleaned and oiled. You don't need to worry about food, your neighbours will give you theirs.
    Ha ha a gun.....

.....Crossbow bolts can be re-used.

Don't need to stock up, the scottish hills are full of wildlife, fish, rabbit, Deer, Pheasant, Haggis etc no reason to be hungry in Scotland
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Make sure you've got some like minded friends with whom you can roam the wasteland picking off stray humans for food.
    Get some bondage gear and a hockey mask.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    equalsql said:
    I've read that whole chicken can be frozen for a year.
    Maybe. But it'll be dead fairly soon.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24189
    Get loads of the space food stuff...

https://uk.huel.com/collections/huel-powder

Won't take up much room then either.
    And loads of tinned food. Tins are still the best long term choice.

Dog and cat food too - then you can easily attract the strays for fresh meat.

Horse meat is actually lovely too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Get loads of the space food stuff...

https://uk.huel.com/collections/huel-powder

Won't take up much room then either.
    And loads of tinned food. Tins are still the best long term choice.

Dog and cat food too - then you can easily attract the strays for fresh meat.

Horse meat is actually lovely too.
    Of course if you eat nothing but Huel you'll probably survive, but wish you were dead...

Or just in France :D
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    I moved to Singapore.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    Don't forget dry goods like beans, pulses, rice, flour, pasta, salt, sugar and spices. These can be storred easily and flour (with yeast and sugar) will keep you in bread to help with the soup. Pet food is a good call for those that will need it. Keeping a few chickens if you have the space gives you fresh eggs and access to the meat. A few tins of corned beef or those fry bentos pies might be a simple solution for many. Tinned peas, sweetcorn, carrots etc. are easy to store too.
    In reality any shortage will be resolved in a few weeks or months at most, prices will adjust some up some even down, but life will go on.
    A lot of the current cheap fruit and veg (especially out of season) comes from Spain and the north african continent. The latter will still supply because they are not in the EU, Spain will need to because its economy is in the toilet and strangling the small farmers will be bad unless the rest of the EU takes up our present market share.
    For my part i shan't be going mad stockpiling extra, I tend to buy in bulk when the price is on offer anyway and the freezer is currently well stocked with last years harvest.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Kilgore said:
    equalsql said:

Ha ha a gun.....

.....Crossbow bolts can be re-used.

Don't need to stock up, the scottish hills are full of wildlife, fish, rabbit, Deer, Pheasant, Haggis etc no reason to be hungry in Scotland
    You're right, it's the deep fried Mars bars and haggis that put me right off eating anything.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I just checked my fridge and was pleased to see most of the things I like don't come from mainland Europe so I won't be affected. And funnily enough Waitrose has started stocking more items from Commonwealth countries so some wine from Oz, lamb from New Zealand, veg from Africa, wheat from Canada as well as beef from Argentina and coffee from Brazil, tea from India ... who needs stinky cheese from France, lab grown Dutch tomatoes and suspect sausages from Germany. The Italians will simply ignore Junker and co (the mafia will deal with him if he steps out of line) and supply us wine, tomatoes and pasta.

It will be great to go on the motorway and not see so many twats in Audi's as owners can't get spare parts ... I'm getting a hard on (Brexit) just thinking about it.

Maybe we could build a wall in the middle of the English Channel ... and blow up the Channel Tunnel.

:-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Strong and staple.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You could get one of those full chickens in a tin

https://i.redd.it/3gpwn4ed9ybz.jpg

And every time you get hungry, look at it and realise you're not that hungry.

It'll help stretch out rations.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    7reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ionianionian Frets: 100
    Does anyone know if these goods from outside the EU from, say, north Africa, come direct to our ports or via the EU road network? And even if they arrive direct, will there be sufficient staffing to get them though the ports and into shops considering the backlog of EU related cargo? 

Anyway, I've played fallout and watched Threads so I'm well prepped. 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6098
    You could get one of those full chickens in a tin

https://i.redd.it/3gpwn4ed9ybz.jpg

And every time you get hungry, look at it and realise you're not that hungry.

It'll help stretch out rations.
    Gosh that look so appetising.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    ionian said:
    Does anyone know if these goods from outside the EU from, say, north Africa, come direct to our ports or via the EU road network? And even if they arrive direct, will there be sufficient staffing to get them though the ports and into shops considering the backlog of EU related cargo? 

Anyway, I've played fallout and watched Threads so I'm well prepped. 
    Mostly comes direct. There won't be anything coming from the EU (according to Selmayr) so our ports will be empty.

Look how the EU operates ... there will be a deal .. Macron's pants will be brown if there isn't as French farmers come to Paris looking to chop his balls off. They make the yellow vests look like a bunch of kindergarten children.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3003
    Lol

There will be virtually no disruption on the food front in a no deal scenario, other than Spanish grapes might be a bit more difficult to obtain. We certainly won't see the empty shelves of a cold war Russian supermarket.

Back in 1996 the BSE crisis hit and the UK population stopped buying beef almost overnight. However, within the industry we managed to source Argentinian beef and this went on sale by the end of the same week.

And this was for a product that was pretty much unprepared for in comparison to the advanced pre-warning we have of possible Brexit disruption.

The world is chomping at the bit to trade with us. 

Things might be a little bit more expensive but no doubt our supermarkets will be using Brexit No Deal for any price hikes, when no such price hike is needed. 

Let the panic buying begin (and expect plenty more Brexit horror stories from the British Retail Consortium over the coming weeks)

Mind you with Martial Law being peddled, no doubt we'll all be rationed soon anyway.

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

Some things might get cheaper.  The EU has big tariffs on some foods to protect their farmers in Italy, France, Spain etc.  Those products are likely to get cheaper.

Even stuff that does come from the EU will only get a 6% tariff, so it isn't the end of the world.

It will probably hit EU farmers harder than it will hit us.

Ultimately, I still expect some kind of deal, but Project Fear have got to do something to occupy themselves.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    edited February 2019
    @Shrews interesting POV, what's your experience/role in food supply? 

I note strawberries are marked as from Morocco right now. They're not great and 6 months out of our season so no great loss to me should they disappear.
    crunchman said:

Some things might get cheaper.  The EU has big tariffs on some foods to protect their farmers in Italy, France, Spain etc.  Those products are likely to get cheaper.

Even stuff that does come from the EU will only get a 6% tariff, so it isn't the end of the world.

It will probably hit EU farmers harder than it will hit us.

Ultimately, I still expect some kind of deal, but Project Fear have got to do something to occupy themselves.

I doubt there'll be tariffs on EU food. As you say the EU is protectionist - it won't want the UK buying food from the rest of the world so will cut tariffs as many EU-based growers depend on the UK market. EU protectionism is harming third world growth as their food products attract high tariffs.

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Personally I shall be investing in my own livestock. I’m not so fussed as to what animal I eat so long as it’s served with damp cabbage and Yorkshire puddings. One has to keep up the old traditions don’t you know. It’s what made this island bloody Great in the first place. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom