Posting pictures ~ a little help

What's Hot
ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
edited December 2017 in Help & Feedback

Updated July 2017

Current advice is:

do NOT use Photobucket ***, it has too many issues (see links below).
and has now blocked 3rd party hosting !!!

1.  Use IMGUR as it appears to be the simplest, most reliable and spam/pop-up free service.
     a very helpful and full pictorial guide written by RaymondLin  is here >  Imgur

2.  Make sure you photo is a reasonable size,
    ideally something less than 1mb and preferably less than 1000 pixels wide, it is kinder on everyones data allowance, etc, if you do.

3.  Use the "DIRECT link (email & IM)", it is the one who's file ends .jpg 
    (do not use the others as they may not / will not display properly.)

4.  Use the "attach image file" button in the tool bar above the text editor box, paste the Direct link (.jpg) address in there.
    *Ensure the attach image box is completely clear before pasting
(adding a "space" after the address may help in posting in the box on a mobile device, see INDEX for Imgur and other hosting services specifics)

5.  Refresh your browser to see that your image has been posted successfully.

You can try a test post here
  http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/17284/test-posts#latest

note ~ posting from mobile devices has always been problematic, give it a try, if you know how to make it work, please add some guidance to this thread to help others.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
PB
3rd party hosting is now blocked from their free accounts, best not to use it at all is the current forum wisdom ~ July 2017

*** IF you must use PhotoBucket - and the best advice is NOT TO - then:

Advice note ~ possibly the correct way to currently post Photobucket pics (Oct 2016) thanks to WezV :
(see ~  http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1239301/#Comment_1239301)

"for this pic i will right click on the pic in photobucket, copy the image address and add it using the attach image button on this here text editor"

"Those who just paste a link in the text editor always show as links on the mobile version, even when privately hosted."

& paul_c2 said ~ "The issue isn't simply Photobucket; its people not posting links to pictures in a consistent way"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Pictures, etc, are not hosted on the forum directly, due to the obvious storage capacity overhead that would impose on our "free to use" resource that this place provides.  The solution is to link to the image files hosted elsewhere on the net.  There is an index in the next post which will take you to some site specific advice.  I will try to keep this current, but bear in mind it may not be a complete resource, it is provided "as is".

note: you may have issues posting from a tablet or mobile, but, hey, it's always worth trying anyway.
Also make sure your album / images are public.

Pictures always get interest and help a sale, so are a must for the classifieds.

Posting videos and pictures is an important part of forum life, so it's well worth checking out the guidance offered by our members.

If you can add to the knowledge pool, please do feel free to contribute.

Enjoy forum life, this is a great community to be a part of  

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Chris
(April 2014)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Why is this thread in tatters, I hear you ask ?

" [admin edit]  ~ Oct 2015 ~
This thread is now superseeded by (and a lot of its former content has been moved to) this thread. "

Whilst a good idea to host it that way, there seem to be a number of ongoing issues, so...

Well, I have continued to update the index section when new issues are apparent, with links to the relevant threads and guides, and I will attempt to keep it as current as possible in the future.

So many people are having real problems, especially since the text editor update in the latter half of 2016, that I thought I would resurrect and re-publish this "How To".

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments