Posting pictures ~ a little help

What's Hot

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited March 2017
    OneDrive:

(advice from @Trude ~ thanks for posting ~ see link below)

For anyone who's interested, I did this:
    • From the browser view of my OneDrive files, I right clicked on the image, and selected "Embed"
    • Press the "Generate" button
    • Selected "Large" from the pic size dropdown (original size ended up stretched)
    • Selected "Include html tags"
    • Copied the html and then pasted it into the post editor in html view
    http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/99729/how-to-post-images-from-onedrive#latest

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2017
    If anyone could tell me why I can never see the images on Google service links I would be grateful.

If I ever click on https: //goo.gl/photos/ link, for instance, all I see is a blank empty page !

Is the world keeping something from me I wonder ?

:-??

• markblackmarkblack Frets: 1590
    here's a visual way to show how to find a direct link to an image and add it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for that @markblack  :)

An update to Google / Picassa from @TTony (hope you don't mind me re-posting it here)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    "I've given up trying to get my pics on Picasa / Google Photos to post on here.

In the original days of Picasa, everything worked simply and smoothly.  Since Google canned Picasa and migrated everyone to Google Photos, embedding pics here has been impossible from that source - and all the old links broke too.

But I stuck with Google Photos - until this morning - for 2 reasons.  First was the (in vain) hope that Google would actually get it sorted out.  Second was that I dreaded moving all my photos across to another service.

I've just moved across to Flickr.  Thanks to cloudsfer the process was absolutely painless.  It's a cloud-to-cloud migration service that's free for up to 5Gb of content.  It doesn't support *every* cloud service, but it does support Google Photos and Flickr.  Hence my choice of Flickr as my new image host."

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/99828/picasa-google-photos-and-posting-photos-here#latest

Useful advice in Yetti 'Nuvva Imgur thread here, and also in the updated   >INDEX<

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/103361/imgur-why#latest

• bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    edited April 2018
    Update:  postimg.org seems to be having some issue and the domain has changed to https://postimg.cc
    • Select a picture and click the Share button:

• Copy the "Direct link" URL, or click on the blue and white icon on the far right to copy the link:

• On this site, click on the image icon, and paste the link into the box:

• Your picture appears:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @bodhi , that's a very useful pictorial guide to posting.org.

We could do with more interaction, advice and guides from the FretBoarders like this, so very helpful all round, cheers.

I will add it to the 
    updated   >INDEX<

Rather nice LP faded you have there too.  Is that Darren's old one by any chance ?

• bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    @ChrisMusicyou're very welcome.

Yep - that's the Standard Faded I got from Darren.
    http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/107159/photobucket-blocked-3rd-party-hosting#latest

Sounds like PhotoBucket may have signed it's own death warrant !

main index updated

This post is taken from the "PB blocked 3rd party hosting" thread linked above.  I have "borrowed it for the sake of completeness and telling the current story, and keeping it in context in this thread (and which so far has stood the test of time quite well)...

Neil said:
    WezV said:
    The other issue is all those old threads with PB links. 
    Most of mine are going to be screwed, and I don't have time to re-do all the links  
    Will all historic posts lose their pics? Complete drag if it does.
    andyp said:
    There was a thread about this on another forum I use (on motorbikes) yesterday and there's loads of project threads and general threads that will now be pretty useless, but it's the peril of using third party hosts for anything.

There must be something better out there... End result of all this is simply that I barely ever post photos on forums as it's such a faff. 

This whole issue of historic threads loosing their pictures really devalues the whole forum IMO, or at least the usefulness of forum content as a reference, and hence the worth of posting in the first place.

(especially build threads which are of necessity going to be pic heavy, i.e. @WezV , @Rabs , and others)

@digitalscream ~ Lee, I doubt there is much you and the other "founding fathers" can do about this situation, and I know Tony is taking some needed respite ATM, but you guys may want to have a bit of a conflab, and formulate some sort of policy in regard to the effect PhotoBucket's reckless behaviour will have on the massive amount of hard work and time all of you have graciously invested in making this place the undoubted success it is.

I wish I had some sort of useful suggestion to offer, I have done my best with the "Posting Pics ~ a little help" thread to keep abreast of hosting foibles and encouraging people to keep visual content in their threads, but this problem is an order of magnitude beyond any of that.  Let me know if I can do anything to help.

With reference to the post above:

"This whole issue of historic threads loosing their pictures really devalues the whole forum IMO, or at least the usefulness of forum content as a reference, and hence the worth of posting in the first place."

On further consideration, and this is only a suggestion open to discussion:  would it be worth the members leaving all their PhotoBucket accounts just as they are for now ?  The temptation is to stick a digit up at "the man" and move all content, if you indeed can get it off successfully, then close the account.  Some have done this already.

BUT if you leave the content as it is, then all links in old threads are still valid, so *IF* this gets resolved with PhotoBucket, then it would be business as normal, which would be a huge relief.  Now the chances of PB having a change of heart / policy may well be remote, but think of the time and effort saved if they were to reconsider, at least in a historical sense.

It also occur to me that it would be good practice (read "safety net"), to copy all the image files you want to preserve for future reference, or just the ones which apply to this or other forums, etc, to another safe haven, be that another hosting service, cloud storage, or just on a hard drive or stick somewhere.  (This is probably good practice anyway in case any company or device should fail in the future)

That way your images are safe and backed up.  Should PB change policy, then all your old links should pop back into life.  Best of all, you then have the opportunity to rebuild any old threads from your new host at your leisure, as and when you desire (read "can be arsed!"), and you are freed from the tyranny which many have viewed PB's service to be recently.

Worthy of thought, discussion, and refinement ?    :bz

P.S.  I have no idea whether this service would be helpful in achieving any of the above, I have not even looked at their site yet.  If anyone checks it out and finds it useful, maybe you could report back here ?
    cloudsfer  ~ Cloud to Cloud migration service

So maybe PB won't be resolving this any time soon !
    Thanks for posting the info @FX_Munkee ;
    FX_Munkee said:
    Which includes me, because I haven't got my lazy arse in gear yet.
    They've decided you need to pay $400/year to post your images in forums!
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/30/photobucket_charging_400yr_3rdparty_pgs/

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/107377/for-those-still-using-photobucket#latest

Well, Photobucket appear to have saved me the job of trying to figure out where the hell the forum code talks to it...which, by the way, appears to be impossible to find.

Anyway, having just exhaustively gone through the code, here's a list of all the media services the forum has direct, explicit integration with:

- Imgur
    - YouTube
    - Google Calendar
    - Vimeo
    - Pastebin
    - Soundcloud
    - Bandcamp
    - Google Maps
    - Twitter
    - Github
    - Vine (RIP)
    - Instagram
    - Pinterest
    - Getty Images
    - Hitbox
    - Twitch

Aside from those, you can embed an image from pretty much anywhere using the "Attach image/file" button in the editor toolbar, as long as you can get a direct URL for the image itself. This will generally only work if the URL ends in .jpg/.png/.gif/etc.

I have added the "Official Host Services" list above to the main index, very useful to know, thanks Lee  :)

Should you want the main index anytime...

>>> Go To INDEX >>>

• andypandyp Frets: 332
    I can't get it to work using the Attach Image File button, what am I doing wrong?

If I paste the Direct link into the body of my post, then it works... but I can't see those on my phone.

Sorry if this is a well-trodden path, but I've read loads of posts on this and I am still having this problem. Anyone got any advice?

If it's any help, I use Google Chrome on two Windows laptops and have the same issue on both, and use Chrome on an iPhone running the latest iOS. I just want to be sure folk can see what I'm posting if I put photos on.
    @andyp ~ I just tried using the Attach Image File button on your Sub n Up sale thread, it looks like it has worked OK, maybe you could let me (us) know please.

I just copied and pasted your link from the body of your post into the AIF box and voila, there it was.  I know some people have reported that you need to put a space after the address for some strange reason for Imgur images, I have had to do that in the past myself.  I use an old steam powered Mac with Safari, so there may be a difference there...

• andypandyp Frets: 332
    Thanks Chris, I'll see what I can do with this. Appreciate the help! :)
    Interesting new discussion considering whether to offer image hosting integrated with the forum itself.
        (The INDEX, page one - post two, has been updated with a link too)

Photo hosting Webs - are we running out?
    It also includes a quick "How To" on posting from Flickr, hope you don't mind me reposting it here @spark240 ;

"Flickr has been my choice since PB committed suicide....open your pic, go to "photo page" click on the down arrow, view all sizes, click on the size you want to open it, right click on image, select image, go to forum post, and paste.  sou ends long winded but actually tales a few seconds honest....Im very impatient so it must work."

added note from me ~ probably good to post it onto the forum using the "Attach Image / File" tool / icon above the text editor box, it looks like a sheet of paper with a folded corner.  Just make sure that the default text in the 
    "Attach Image / File" tool is selected and overwritten by what you paste in.  That should make your image appear and be more compatible across devices.

Hope this update helps  :)

• I am playing major catch-up, 100 pages of "Recent Discussions" now I'm into just 50+ to go.  Jeez you guys can talk a lot !  ;)

Just noticed @impmann 's potentially rather useful post in the Help and Feedback section ~ you can download plug ins that by pass the Photobucket display block.

Getting around the Photobucket curse

I will add it to the main index too...

edited December 2017
    Just a reminder that this thread is still here...

and...

actively looking for any comments about posting pics and video content, especially any techniques or help for the community.  What works & what doesn't, etc.

(note ~ I have now moved it from the "Guitar" section, which is more heavily trafficked, to "Help and Feedback", which is probably more appropriate.)

Hopefully a flood of NGD posts to come over Xmas, with plenty of pics (& some playing too, so we can hear them?)

*** Please don't post huge image files though ~ small is beautiful ~ and respects those of us with limited bandwidth and old tech (computers, etc), ta