RIP Albert Finney

What's Hot
scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
Passed away today.

One of those actors of whom your opinion changes when you read the list of films he appeared in and you go, "you know, that's a pretty impressive list".

He was superb as Churchill in "The Gathering Storm".
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6060
    Brilliant actor with a voice full of gravitas. Tom Jones and Shoot The Moon are movies that come immediately to mind while The Green Man a made for TV adaptation was excellent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • And Annie
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    He's in one of my favourite films, the musical Scrooge. I HAVE to watch it every Xmas. The film I have seen most in my life!

RIP Albert
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    There's a film called "Wolfen" with him in......not well known but very memorable.

He was part of the great creative surge in 60s England - no-one else quite like him.
    R.I.P.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    R.I.P Albert, he was great in one of my favourite films "A good year". A fantastic film.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.

• Big Fish, gets me every time.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996
    One of my fave actors  ;( ... had a little tribute watch of ep 1/2 of kingsly amis's the greenman , and the absolute classic  saturday night sunday morning.. might have a look at two for the road after the rugby and a few eps of my uncle silas and the last ep of the green man  ,must track down night  must fall as i havnt seen it for ages ....   what a great legacy he leaves behind ...  Don't let the bastards grind you down. What I want is a good time. All the rest is propaganda.”   ...
  • The dresser, one of my favourite films.
  • A great career throughout but the 80s bought us Shoot the Moon, Loophole and Wolfen.. marvellous 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364
    Brilliant actor. RIP
  • Y'all know this thread is nearly four years old, right?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    How many back from the grave tribute threads..?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Omg I thought he was long gone
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1677
    Miller's Crossing for me. Sublime.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22804
    Omg I thought he was long gone
    He was.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11666
    Well as the thread has been reopened, I'll just chuck my ha'penny's worth in - The Green Man on BBC1.  Brilliant - one of my favourite dramas.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Philly_Q said:
    Omg I thought he was long gone
    He was.
    This thread ironically has shown the same plot as two of Finney's starring roles in the dramas "Karaoke" and "Cold Lazarus".

Though I don't want to spoil those for anyone who hasn't seen them by saying why.

Also, has nobody mentioned Murder on the Orient Express yet?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    No, but I saw it not long ago (last Christmas, probably) and it has not aged well.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Philly_Q said:
    No, but I saw it not long ago (last Christmas, probably) and it has not aged well.
    Wow, I couldn't disagree more, pretty much perfect Christie adaptation I've always thought, fantastic soundtrack, amazing cast, superb film.

I mean the social attitudes have aged badly, but that's when it's set, not the film.

The recent remake showed how updating the morality element of the story can be a disaster.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    Philly_Q said:
    Wow, I couldn't disagree more, pretty much perfect Christie adaptation I've always thought, fantastic soundtrack, amazing cast, superb film.

I mean the social attitudes have aged badly, but that's when it's set, not the film.

The recent remake showed how updating the morality element of the story can be a disaster.
    Of all the Christie stories (that I know) I think it's the least interesting because once you know the "twist" you can never forget it - whereas in most of her other stories the identity of the murderer's almost irrelevant, it's more about the characters and the investigation, I never remember "whodunnit".

To me the 1974 Murder on the Orient Express has always just seemed like a vehicle for all the big star names of the day (including some survivors from the golden age of Hollywood), but as a film it's a big flabby mess, and Finney is terrible.  The 2017 version is more of the same but slightly worse...

We'll have to agree to disagree!