Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Analogue Delay Pedals?

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
im out of the loop on anything newer than the Carbon Copy lol

What are good analogue delay pedals that aren’t overly dark sounding? (I’d class the MXR CC and the Seymour Duncan <I forget the name> analogue pedals a bit to dark for my taste) 

NOT looking for midi or bells and whistles - just a chips n gravy delay without the need to feed it digital-pedal levels of pedalboard current

ta! 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    I have a Maxon AD-9 Pro which I might sell if you're interested. It sounds great but has an annoying (for me) footswitch. I am extremely fussy about footswitches :).

The main selling points for an analogue delay are that it goes up to 450mS (most vintage ones were only 300) and has a 'dotted eighth' setting for U2 impressions.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Dm2 Waza is not too dark.

Aqua puss is quite bright, although only short delay time.

A carbon copy bright is also available, although not sure what it’s like.... 

• Dm2 Waza is not too dark.

Aqua puss is quite bright, although only short delay time.

Thorougly recommend the Boss DM-2W. Then there’s the DD-7 it has a really good analog setting and useful looper built in and the digital delays are pretty good too
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774

I found the CC bright to be lovely and much more usable than the original but then i like my delays bright and i still ended up selling it so...
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    ICBM said:
    I have a Maxon AD-9 Pro which I might sell if you're interested. It sounds great but has an annoying (for me) footswitch. I am extremely fussy about footswitches :).

The main selling points for an analogue delay are that it goes up to 450mS (most vintage ones were only 300) and has a 'dotted eighth' setting for U2 impressions.
    Cheers will look that one up!

Any folk used the Carbon Cooy Deluxe or Way Huge Echo Puss? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5260
    mad prof deep blue delay handwired I aint really using it anymore if its any use Matt Schofield likes it if that makes any difference to anything :)
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    TimmyO said:
    ICBM said:

The Maxon is quite dark sounding ime. The Dunlop Echoplex is very nice (not sure it’s analogue - delay times can be very long if you use a tap but it sounds very analog). 
    JezWynd said:

The Maxon is quite dark sounding ime.
    It is, although nowhere near like the normal Carbon Copy - I haven't tried the Bright. Very slightly darker than the Boss DM-2.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• markvmarkv Frets: 459
    TimmyO said:

Funny you should ask - I got a Carbon Copy Deluxe yesterday.

I loved the original Carbon Copy - I sold one to buy this - but I'm a little underwhelmed by the Deluxe so far. Overall (and I've only had a few hours with it) I'm finding it harder to dial in settings I like than I did on the original. I don't think it's quite as dark in normal mode as the CC.

On the plus side, it's got the features: more delay time, tap tempo, tap div, mod controls on the top and expression input, which is great fun if the regen is just on the edge of self-oscilation, and the basic sound is still in there, somewhere. On the downside, the mix and regen knobs don't do much for at least half their rotation, and you can't control the regen with the expression pedal which is annoying.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The new Supro one...fecking hell its a lot of money. Cool pedal though. 
    I suspect the CC Bright would tick your boxes. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    Thanks all - will
    Sort out some online listening. 

It may be I can/should ease up on no digital - I had it in my head that current draws were really high but seem to be well under 100ma so probably doable.

So will take a look at Echoplex and Belle Epoch too 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyO said:
    ICBM said:

I got an Echo Puss a few weeks ago - i love it. 

The modulation is really usable and the other controls add a lot of versatility. 
    TimmyO said:

It may be I can/should ease up on no digital - I had it in my head that current draws were really high but seem to be well under 100ma so probably doable.
    In fact having checked, the AD-9 Pro has a very large power-up surge which will cause trouble with some power supplies.

From Maxon...

"All new Maxon 9-Series pedals have a circuit called a Charge Pump – the charge pumps regulates incoming voltage to a constant 9 Volts DC – even if the battery sags down to 7.5 or if there is a voltage spike on the power line. This assures a consistent performance from the pedal at all times.  

The Charge Pump requires a very high current surge upon initial startup – around 2 amps. 9 volt batteries and most dedicated power supplies can supply this high current for the few milliseconds it takes for the Charge Pump to power up, then the circuit “normals” down to the standard current draw of the pedal (listed in product specs).  

Since the Pedal Power’s outputs are isolated and regulated at 100 mA, they do not provide enough current to give the Charge Pump the 2A it needs for initial startup. If you have the PP 2+, you can use the “Line 6” outputs to power the AD-9 Pro, which have a high enough current rating to power the unit properly."

2A?!!

That's a very poor design. You'll be OK with something like a One Spot or a non-isolated supply like a MXR DC Brick, but most standard isolated power supplies will struggle. I didn't know this, since I've only used it on a battery.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • From personal experience the Aalogman Ard thing is the best analog delay i’ve ever had, It’s perfect twice over.  I was slightly snobbish about delays then picked up the Belle Epoch Deluxe in a trade on here and i’m not looking to replace it anytime soon. It’s a fantastic sounding delay. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    Absolutely love my Echoplex. Highly recommended. Not sure where it sits on the 'darkness' scale though.
  • I like the Echo Puss, the basic delay sound is really good and you can adjust the brightness and modulation to exactly how you want it or just set and forget.
  • I love my Carbon Copy, if you run one at 12v it’s less dark
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    +1 to the DM-2 Waza, the 'Custom' setting is a lot brighter than the 'Standard'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • agibboagibbo Frets: 102
    I also had a new pedal day this week, in the form of the MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe!

The standard mode and bright mode are both good, and once I've spent more time with the pedal I'm sure I will learn to use it's features better. 

The only thing nagging in the back of my mind is that I'm not sure it's tonally as good as the old Ibanez AD9 it's replacing (which I already regret selling!). However, it does offer a whole lot more with the tap tempo, divisions and longer delay times.
  • Dod rubberneck.
    It has a tone dial to make things super dark to super bright and everything in between.
    Big delay times and tap tempo too. Reasonable ma draw too
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.