Fender Rumble Amps - user/owner comments please

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    Kebabkid said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Does anyone DI these? If so, what's the sound like and some reviewer on YT mentioned a down point was that it was linked or controlled by the Master - don't get that??
    Yes the master volume does control the DI out which means you can’t have separate levels for the internal speaker and the level output through DI
    Ah, I see. That is a pain and restrictive
    That is pure bad design, and unfortunately reinforces the reason many soundmen won't DI the amp - they prefer to DI the bass, leaving the amp as a glorified monitor - in case you mess about with the level after they've set it in the FOH mix.

The DI output should always be pre-MV, so the two things are independent. Ideally it should be selectable for pre/post EQ as well, but if it's fixed then post is better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    ICBM said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Does anyone DI these? If so, what's the sound like and some reviewer on YT mentioned a down point was that it was linked or controlled by the Master - don't get that??
    Yes the master volume does control the DI out which means you can’t have separate levels for the internal speaker and the level output through DI
    Ah, I see. That is a pain and restrictive
    That is pure bad design, and unfortunately reinforces the reason many soundmen won't DI the amp - they prefer to DI the bass, leaving the amp as a glorified monitor - in case you mess about with the level after they've set it in the FOH mix.

The DI output should always be pre-MV, so the two things are independent. Ideally it should be selectable for pre/post EQ as well, but if it's fixed then post is better.
    Thanks ICBM - is there a pedal/special type of DI you could put between the amp and desk to get past this issue?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    I’ve got a Trace Elliot that’s been nicknamed “The Chair” in our house
    What nickname has been bestowed on your Marshall DBS rig?
    "Get that f**king big thing out the way"
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    Kebabkid said:

Thanks ICBM - is there a pedal/special type of DI you could put between the amp and desk to get past this issue?
    No, because adjusting the MV on the amp will still alter the signal level to the desk.

The only way you can fix it is to either go from the FX send to a DI box - which may be post-EQ, I don't know - or DI the bass and just use the amp as a monitor, which means you have no control over the tone going to the desk. (Unless you use an EQ pedal as well.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    Kebabkid said:

No, because adjusting the MV on the amp will still alter the signal level to the desk.

The only way you can fix it is to either go from the FX send to a DI box - which may be post-EQ, I don't know - or DI the bass and just use the amp as a monitor, which means you have no control over the tone going to the desk. (Unless you use an EQ pedal as well.)
    IIRC you can set the FX loop to pre or post
  • ICBM said:
    Kebabkid said:

That's what I thought - but I can't find how you do that on a 100
    ICBM said:
    Kebabkid said:

That's what I thought - but I can't find how you do that on a 100
    Might only be on the 500 as it’s the same amp as the head only version
  • Th bass player in our band uses a Rumble 100 and it”s totally fine for the pub gigs that we do and never seems to struggle, even with a Digitech Bass Synth wah going through it.
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    The prevoius Bass player in our band used the 500 with extension speaker. Plenty of volume, but the tone was very poor IMHO, very muddy, and back of the box, but that could be because of the way he had it set up or the guitar he was using. When he D/I through a PA at larger gigs it cleaned up a lot better.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Pianist in my Jazz band uses a Rumble combo - insanely loud and incredibly light
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    How is the reliability on these? My nearest Fender dealership has had the odd return. I do not know how many units he has sold.
    Be seeing you.
  • PaulWarningPaulWarning Frets: 906
    I had one that had to be returned for new speakers, apparently some early ones had dodgy Chinese speakers in them, also, they're not Neo's so all the weight saving is on the cab, there have been reports of strange rattles, I got rid in the end because I could never get the tone I wanted, very limited EQ on it
    all the weight saving is on the cab, there have been reports of strange rattles
    My local Fender dealer had a heap of intentionally disabled Mustang and Rumble cabinets. Fender no longer bothers repairing faulty small amplifiers under warranty. Instead, they just ship a replacement on the condition that the dealer sends photographic evidence that the PCB of the faulty unit has been physically broken beyond repair.

The "surplus" cabinets are skinny ply, low weight and not of reassuringly robust construction. 
    Be seeing you.
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1012
    Would anyone recommend the Fender 15w for home use ?
    “Ken sent me.”
    Reliability permitting, I suspect that there is more use to be had from the Rumble Studio 40.
    Be seeing you.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    Aren’t the current Rumble amps the result of Fenders purchase of Genz Benz?
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom