Staggered Tuners

What's Hot
This is beautifully written...

I have and do get away with using staggered tuners on a Strat - but his logic is flawless...

https://hazeguitars.com/blog/rant-this-time-its-staggered-height-tuners
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72262
    I completely agree. I would always fit a string tree for the top two strings - if you put a little lubricant under the tree it doesn’t affect the tuning.

But he’s only partly right... staggered tuners do have a useful purpose - if you then swap the first two with the middle two so the G is the lowest, you have a much better break angle for the D and especially the G, which otherwise tends to need too much string winding onto the post to get it far enough down, without fitting a second tree... which *does* cause trouble with the D.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Staggered string trees tend to also be locking as well though so that should eliminate wraps. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14415
    Staggered string trees tend to also be locking 
    Not seen any locking string guides myself. Who makes ‘em?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I also hate them, I’ve had them on too many Fenders over the years and have grown to detest them. Also, if you restring with wraps first, like I do, they are a complete pain in the ass.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    Thankfully I don't have them on any of my guitars.