Switches - should I buy from eBay? Now with added pickup curiosity!

What's Hot
BowksBowks Frets: 414
edited February 2019 in Making & Modding
I'm looking to get a 3 way DPDT switch for a project I'm about to undertake (expect a thread looking for advice on finishes and wood repairs over the weekend) 

This is the sort of switch I need: https://www.allparts.uk.com/products/mini-switch-dpdt-round-bat-on-on-on

If I were to go to Allparts, its £8.50, wereas on eBay I can get one for £1 or so. 

Is there a huge markup or will the eBay switch need replacing every dozen times I use it? It's been a few years since I've needed anything like this and have no idea whether a cheap switch is false economy or a levelling of a marketplace that has always had over inflated margins.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    buy cheap, buy twice imo

had iffy cheap 3 way switches myself 
  • BowksBowks Frets: 414
    MLten80 said:
    buy cheap, buy twice imo

had iffy cheap 3 way switches myself 
    Where would you recommend I should go?
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Buy the £1 switch. If it fails buy a better one. Not much risk
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7022
    tFB Trader
    I miss Maplin for this kind of thing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    edited February 2019
    ^ that 

rip maplins 

I'd imagine the allparts ones are better than the eBay cheapos 

Danny1969 said:
    Thanks for the guidance, their site is a bit of a shambles! The title says On-On, the description says On-Off!!

I found a switch on eBay from Warman in the end. £4.50 inc the shipping and will be here early next week. 
    I thought I should explain what I need the switch for, as the pickup I'm using it with is a bit of a curates egg. It's a DiMarzio Multibucker, that was launched in 1992.

They essentially sandwiched a Fast Track 1 and Chopper onto a single baseplate, allowing you to select between each of the individual pickups, or run both coils as you would a normal humbucker. In terms of sounds, it is meant to be reminiscient of the old DiMarzio Megadrive.

I'll let you know how it sounds once it's in and I've tweaked it, as the orientation of the pickup has an effect on the sounds in all 3 modes.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    IMO, Larry missed a trick with the Multibucker. It should have had eight-con + shield cable à la Bartolini.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    IMO, Larry missed a trick with the Multibucker. It should have had eight-con + shield cable à la Bartolini.

If I can find another one, I'll install them both in my Steve Morse, then I'll have 6 pickups to choose from!