Luthier recommendations East Midlands

What's Hot
Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
The guy who has done work on my guitars in the last few years seems to have vanished without a trace. I have a couple of guitars that’ll need some work doing this year and have a mate with a Tele needing some tlc.

Derby/Nottingham/Leicester area, anyone?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14230
    tFB Trader
    http://www.keefeguitars.co.uk/

Colin has a good reputation 

There is a guy in Nottingham called Andy Farrell - Not seen him for years but still know he is around, so worth checking out

I Have a friend near Derby (Belper) who can help if required @Rusty-Strings ;

Hope this helps
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4783
    edited February 2019
    Nige or Danny at Leicestershire Guitar Luthier, or Andy Farrell in Kimberley as Mark suggests would be my recommendation. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• Chris George Lincolnshire is superb
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Howard Smith in Leicester. Nice guy, great work and decent prices. Won't take my guitar anywhere else now.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Another vote for Leicestershire luthier.
  • TTBZ said:
    Howard Smith in Leicester. Nice guy, great work and decent prices. Won't take my guitar anywhere else now.
    Never used him myself but never heard anything but good things either.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    He transformed my SG, I was never fully happy with it and considered trading it in many a time but he made it play amazingly and saved it from the chop :)
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    Thanks everyone, very helpful info.
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Howard Smith in Leicester - Top bloke, did a great fret dress and set up on my Strat. Very reasonable prices, and did it in 4 days cos I had a gig!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Had a few issues with Howard, personally I'd go to Nigel at http://www.leicestershire-luthier.co.uk/ he's done some great work for me
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited February 2019
    Ive moved to Nottingham and every time I’ve tried to use Nottingham City Guitars, the turnaround time quoted has been 2-3weeks. I’ve found it easier to just jump on a train and use Tim Marten or @FelineGuitars depending on the level of job. I get a day out and I know the work will be good. 

Northworthy were good in Ashbourne. They were to go to people in the 90’s for me. Also a guy in Besston fixed my mates Les Paul, but I don’t know if he’s still trading? 
  • Rob Hodgson, RH Guitars. He's in a little village near Derby, can't remember exactly. If you search RH Guitars on Facebook you'll find him though. Tell him Kerry  says hi if you go to him :) 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6799
    jeztone2 said:
    Ive moved to Nottingham and every time I’ve tried to use Nottingham City Guitars, the turnaround time quoted has been 2-3weeks. I’ve found it easier to just jump on a train and use Tim Marten or @FelineGuitars depending on the level of job. I get a day out and I know the work will be good. 

Northworthy were good in Ashbourne. They were to go to people in the 90’s for me. Also a guy in Besston fixed my mates Les Paul, but I don’t know if he’s still trading? 

I was in Nottingham City Guitars yesterday and was amazed at how poorly setup the vintage guitars were - two fenders with misaligned necks having e strings right on the edge of the frets. If that's how he's happy to display his stock Id be wary of what his setups look like!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • http://www.leicestershire-luthier.co.uk/  - another +1 for this lot. =) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rob Hodgson, RH Guitars. He's in a little village near Derby, can't remember exactly. If you search RH Guitars on Facebook you'll find him though. Tell him Kerry  says hi if you go to him :) 
    +1 for Rob Hodgson. He's at Idridgehay, on the Wirksworth Road coming out of Duffield (on A6 6 miles north of Derby).  Top guy - and I'm a guitar builder!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Dropped my mates Tele in with Danny at Leicestershire Guitar this afternoon for a full set up. I shall report back. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
    Picked up my mates Tele from Danny this morning. Very nicely sorted out, plays great, sounds great and it’s never been as clean ;) My mate’s well chuffed.