Slash (Glasgow)

What's Hot
Jeeesus..... That was one of the best gigs I've ever been to. I know I'm a Slash fan but WOW. 

They only played one G N' R song (Nightrain) which I quite liked (spoiled by some idiot starting a fight in the crowd)... They now have enough good material to just play their own stuff and they made a point of that. At the end Slash got up to the podium and everybody was shouting "Paradie City" but they played Anastasia as their outro. He broke a string during that but absolutely blasted his way through it by playing it differently on the other strings - that was very impressive. 

There was no video screen in the background... just them playing their instruments with some decent lighting. One lyric says to "turn off the lights" which the light crew did and it was very cool. They didn't need any video gimmicks. You really got a sense they're a band in their prime now. They all owned the stage. Drum solo was awesome... and I'll admit sometimes Slash can play a long solo but it really held my attention this time. I know folk don't rate him in the same league as other players but honestly... his playing last night was mind-blowing. Absolutely mind-blowing. Technically, it was just incredible. I'm talking Vai-levels of guitar playing. I always love his bluesy approach but I could hear he was doing a lot of modal substitutions and outside notes which were really tasteful. It was like watching a virtuoso guitar performance - absolutely stunning. I really hope they do a DVD.

His new red Les Paul actually looks the part. For once we stayed a bit away from front of stage and the sound was sooooo much better for it. The sound guy also did a great job. Could hear everything very clearly.

We actually went to the wrong venue at first and I did think there were too many scantily clad teenage girls suddenly taking an interest in Slash. It almost made me re-evaluate my choice in music but honestly.... they rocked super long, note perfect, virtuoso performances.... just absolutely brilliant. I don't know how they have the energy, either. It must have been 2.5 hours they were on stage and I was tired just standing watching! 

Slash has definitely taken it up several gears. 11/10 for me!! It was an infinitely better performance than G N' R. I really liked how they seemed to be a proper established band this time. It's an inspiration to see the man play but depressing to know it's out of reach unless you quit your job and go in head-first :lol: I hope he does a load more albums before his time is up. 

PERFECT!
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Glad you had a good time. I haven’t seen him this tour, but have seen him a few times over the years and it was always a good show.

Ive done the wrong venue thing before - we noted the Adele fans were dressed differently to the Muse crowd we were expecting to see!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkb said:
    Glad you had a good time. I haven’t seen him this tour, but have seen him a few times over the years and it was always a good show.

Ive done the wrong venue thing before - we noted the Adele fans were dressed differently to the Muse crowd we were expecting to see!
    My sister and her daughters missed nearly all of Rihanna by going to the wrong venue first. I think the worst I did was queue for half an hour for Weird Al Yankovic before someone explained that The Beat were next door. I still wonder what a Weird Al gig would be like. 

Glad Slash was good. Much as I think people who view gigs through their cameras are knobheads there is some stuff up on YouTube already:

https://youtu.be/geow-Gbi-e8
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    Excellent, glad to her it's a good 'un!

I'm off to see them in Hammersmith on Wednesday, so you've set my expectations rather high now...
  • I'm seeing them in zurich in march. It's a fairly small venue so can't wait.
  • Guys - let me know how you find the gig.... hell, I'm half-tempted to fly to another lol. 

I'm never standing at front of stage again. Sound is the most important thing for a gig and standing a bit further back made a massive improvement. 
  • @thomasross20 I had exactly your experience at Manchester! Was towards the back and the sound was perfect. Slash's playing was 11/10, best i've ever seen him and he also broke a string in Anastasia and just effortlessly played through it. Absolutely mind blowing performance from the entire band, one of the best gigs I've been to in a long time.

My only slight criticism and its in general is of Myles Kennedy - now I love the guy and he is immensely talented and great vocals live but he leaves way too much of a song for the audience to sing! I didn't pay to see Dave and Bob knock out Nightrain out of tune, I paid for Myles to sing it. I don't mind it now and again but he does it most songs and for extended periods!

I have been watching videos on instagram of most of the gigs this tour and he seems to break a string most nights... which is fine but I did watch an Ernie Ball Paradigm promo where Adam Day goes on about how Slash has stopped breaking strings now he uses Paradigms and I call bull... not a great advert for paradigms if he's breaking a string a night!

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• How do you manage to break a string every night?!

Although, if you can keep going with a lit cigarette down your kecks, I'm sure a brocken string won't phase you. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's because Paradigm strings are utter crap ;)

Out of interest - do you guys remember the start and end time? Need to plan train times, so they would be very useful!
  • FarleyUK said:
    That's because Paradigm strings are utter crap ;)

Out of interest - do you guys remember the start and end time? Need to plan train times, so they would be very useful!

Started about 9PM and ended about 11:10PM in Manchester if memory serves...

I can't say I've ever been interested in Paradigms - I never snap a string anyway and I don't get why you'd want a string that lasts 3x longer or whatever they claim when they need changing regularly anyway. I wouldn't use them for long enough to get the benefit so it's not worth the price!

• @chrishill901 ; that does sound remarkably similar, which is great! 
    Slash has some sort of device for a bad heart, doesn't he? I hope he keeps pumping out albums while he's able. 

Yeah I'd say budget 2.5 hours for the main act alone..
    Cheers guys!
  • @chrishill901 ; that does sound remarkably similar, which is great! 
    Slash has some sort of device for a bad heart, doesn't he? I hope he keeps pumping out albums while he's able. 

Yeah I'd say budget 2.5 hours for the main act alone..
    Yeah he's had a pacemaker installed, I think in around the year 2000

• I was at Manchester, losing my Slash virginity. Great show, although my sister who was with me had the urge to have a power nap during the extended solos! Was impressed with his turn of speed and was reminded of the majesty of a Les Paul through a Marshall.

They are a great band. I loved Myles and Todd's vocal harmonies. They are the, uh, Crowded House of hard rock. :D

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • Just epic.
  • There was a tribute band (appetite for democracy I think) looking for a slash in Edinburgh on gumtree @thomasross20 ;
    You are obviously the perfect candidate!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    edited February 2019
    Oh? I'll check that out.........!!
    I've auditioned for a few of these - usually they are over ambitious. But will see!

@Moe_Zambeek I sent a message but I think I auditioned for this guy before. Hmm... 
    Thanks though :lol:
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 228
    edited February 2019
    It was a great gig ( Glasgow ) I thought the sound was good and well balanced. I was getting fed up of large gigs where all you can hear is the drums. I also thought the support band were good. We had issues with pricks forcing their way towards the front and it nearly kicked off a few times.
  • I hate that ... sometimes they just stand right in front of you, bold as brass. 
    Looking forward to the gig tonight - interesting setlists as well, going by setlist.fm.

Being rather tall, I'm always a target for moaners who stand behind me - so as I'm on my own, I'll be getting there a bit later and will just stand at the back, methinks! Sounds like I'll get the best sound that way though.

Agree about the tossers charging to the front though - seen Slash about 4 times now, and it's ALWAYS a lot rougher than other gigs I've been to.
  • Yep...

Standing at the back now for better sound is the proper thing to do. 

Look forward to your review!