Is 4.2kg heavy for a Jazz Bass ?

What's Hot
lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
Looking for a full size bass for my son but don't want it to be too heavy.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    A little - but not excessive. Still under 10lbs but you can get plenty of Jazz basses in the 8lbs/8.5lbs range which is noticeable for a long gig....
  • A little - but not excessive. Still under 10lbs but you can get plenty of Jazz basses in the 8lbs/8.5lbs range which is noticeable for a long gig....
    So would you look for one a little lighter then? Not that he is gigging yet ;)  Just a few half hour sets now and then..
    A little - but not excessive. Still under 10lbs but you can get plenty of Jazz basses in the 8lbs/8.5lbs range which is noticeable for a long gig....
    So would you look for one a little lighter then? Not that he is gigging yet ;)  Just a few half hour sets now and then..
    9.5lbs would be too heavy for me personally - mainly because I’ve gigged with much lighter basses and it really does make a difference. 

I think the key fact for me would be that there are basses available that are lighter - a considerable number, across all sorts of price points - and over the course of an hour or so the weight makes a big difference. If it was an absolute corker and sounded and played brilliantly I’d not totally discount it - but I’ve played a lot of lighter basses that played and sounded fantastic.
  • A little - but not excessive. Still under 10lbs but you can get plenty of Jazz basses in the 8lbs/8.5lbs range which is noticeable for a long gig....
    9.5lbs would be too heavy for me personally - mainly because I’ve gigged with much lighter basses and it really does make a difference. 

I think the key fact for me would be that there are basses available that are lighter - a considerable number, across all sorts of price points - and over the course of an hour or so the weight makes a big difference. If it was an absolute corker and sounded and played brilliantly I’d not totally discount it - but I’ve played a lot of lighter basses that played and sounded fantastic.
    :+1: 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23930
    Too heavy for me, but that's not uncommon.

Most Jazzes are in the 9 to 9.5lb bracket but some hit over 10lb.

Actual Fender's tend to be heavier than some other brands, but the other brands that are lighter tend to be expensive.

The Sandberg SL Superlight TT4 is the lightest production 4 string jazz type on the market at the moment at only 2.9kg / 6.8 lb but they are about £1400

I'd keep looking for something no heavier than 8.5lb / 3.85kg - his back will thank you for a long time.
    Also - if the bass has large plate tuners on it then can be swapped for Hipshot Ultralites tuners. On a 4 string that can save 1/3 of a pound - on a 5 string it can save 1/2 pound. And when the weight saving is all on the headstock the balance on the bass improves massively too

(I do that to my basses)

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Fender AVRI basses do not weigh very much except when appropriate. e.g. The ‘75 Jazz in ash, maple and a whole lotta urethane.
    Be seeing you.
  • Too heavy for me, but that's not uncommon.

Most Jazzes are in the 9 to 9.5lb bracket but some hit over 10lb.

Actual Fender's tend to be heavier than some other brands, but the other brands that are lighter tend to be expensive.

The Sandberg SL Superlight TT4 is the lightest production 4 string jazz type on the market at the moment at only 2.9kg / 6.8 lb but they are about £1400

I'd keep looking for something no heavier than 8.5lb / 3.85kg - his back will thank you for a long time.
    Also - if the bass has large plate tuners on it then can be swapped for Hipshot Ultralites tuners. On a 4 string that can save 1/3 of a pound - on a 5 string it can save 1/2 pound. And when the weight saving is all on the headstock the balance on the bass improves massively too

(I do that to my basses)

I think you are right !!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Balance is more important than outright weight in my opinion. The Jazz Bass is generally a well-balanced bass, but in fact very light ones can be neck-heavy and thus feel heavier on the strap than slightly heavier ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Balance is more important than outright weight in my opinion. The Jazz Bass is generally a well-balanced bass, but in fact very light ones can be neck-heavy and thus feel heavier on the strap than slightly heavier ones.
    Interesting ...
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited February 2019
    I feel like 8.5-9lb is the sweet spot with many basses I’ve tried or owned. There will be plenty of Jazz basses in that range. As noted balance can affect how heavy it feels but lighter tuners can help that.

The other thing to consider is a nice padded strap like a neotech mega or gruv gear. They really do make a difference compared to a typical thin nylon strap
  • I feel like 8.5-9lb is the sweet spot with many basses I’ve tried or owned. There will be plenty of Jazz basses in that range. As noted balance can affect how heavy it feels but lighter tuners can help that.

The other thing to consider is a nice padded strap like a neotech mega or gruv gear. They really do make a difference compared to a typical thin nylon strap
    Good point GFB!
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I got one of these for bass duties and
    it does make a positive difference...

https://www.kliqmusicgear.com/products/ags3-aircell-guitar-strap-for-bass-electric-guitar

I’ve never got round to weighing either of my basses (Stingray and a slightly heavier Elite Precision) but I can comfortably manage a couple of hours standing with them when using the AirCell strap.
    I use a mono strap - wide, heavily padded and very grippy. I’d say a good strap is essential for bass regardless of weight as your arms are in a different position compared to Guitar and it can be tiring on your shoulder quicker 
  • I use a mono strap - wide, heavily padded and very grippy. I’d say a good strap is essential for bass regardless of weight as your arms are in a different position compared to Guitar and it can be tiring on your shoulder quicker 
    I just got one for my MM sub bass. It’s only 8oz heavier than my p bass, but feels like it’s a stone heavier. 
    The Swamp City Shakers