Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Another great Andertons experience

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
Yesterday a friend (an irregular forum user - I'll leave him to decide if he chimes in re his GAS) and I had a day out to Andertons. 

This was noteworthy mostly due to the fact that he works near to Denmark St but instead used a days holiday and drove to Guildford to find his new toy. I think that says much about both Andertons and Denmark St! 

We were there for hours - him trying a whole range of guitars and me a bunch of delay pedals. 

Despite it being midweek the staff were clearly very busy (half term I suppose) but still helpful and attentive - he left having bought a guitar, a case and some bits and bobs, me empty handed (confused myself with options lol) but still certain that anything I buy that they sell, I’ll order from them.

Keep up the good work folks 
Red ones are better. 
7reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4663
    edited February 2019
    Thanks for sharing that Lee :-) 
    70reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2993
    edited February 2019

Sounds like a great shop, shame it's 5 hours from me.  Ordered a few things online, always been good.

I'm in London for a day in a couple of weeks. Is Denmark Street worth a visit at all? I'm more inclined to go to Guitar Guitar in Camden, they have a few things in stock I fancy.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 972
    Never been, but a couple years ago I did a small online order (less than £50) cables/strings and had to wait almost 2 weeks to receive them.  I guess they treat the bigger spenders better.
  • I used to live in Guildford and found the store well stocked with new big name brands but quite characterless . OK if they had what you wanted at a good price. I prefer the old style guitar shops that are now just about extinct, you never knew what “ treasure “ you were going to find hanging on the pegboard walls or lurking amongst the old amps.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I went to ACM over a decade ago so was always in there. Have bought 3 guitars from there and they're all playing nicely now. I knew a few of the staff in there through ACM and gigging in bands, don't go to Guildford much as I used to, I must visit again sometime.
  • Apologies for the pedantry, but how is Monday ‘mid week’?
    16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5327

Sounds like a great shop, shame it's 5 hours from me.  Ordered a few things online, always been good.

I'm in London for a day in a couple of weeks. Is Denmark Street worth a visit at all? I'm more inclined to go to Guitar Guitar in Camden, they have a few things in stock I fancy.

Denmark Street is possibly worth a visit to say you've been. You'll find it's smaller than you're expecting, and probably considerably more expensive than you'll be comfortable with based on my limited experiences of killing time in the area. Which isn't saying you're a skint tightwad, just that "bargain" and "shop with central London rent to pay" are not likely to be found in the same sentence, unless in the negative.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11677
    Thanks for sharing that Lee :-) 
    I think @TimmyO prefers "Captain" these days...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Apologies for the pedantry, but how is Monday ‘mid week’?
    I meant not-the-weekend. Insert your preferred phrase for that 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4287
    edited February 2019
    This thread is sponsored by Andertons 

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11677
    In all seriousness, I went in Andertons last year and the staff were superb, it was half term and they were running around keeping everyone happy.

Given their online presence and reputation, it's actually a pretty small shop.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • TimmyO said:
    Apologies for the pedantry, but how is Monday ‘mid week’?
    I meant not-the-weekend. Insert your preferred phrase for that 
    So weekday then!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Their old shop was much nicer. ;-)
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    This thread is sponsored by Andertons 

If only! 
    Red ones are better. 
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2175
    It’s down the road from me and I’ve been plenty of times. I’m always amazed that you can just pick up a £3k+ guitar in there and play it without asking. I much prefer the atmosphere in Anderson’s to somewhere like GuitarGuitar. Far less pretentious. I was in GuitarGuitar recently and the staff were taking the piss out of a customer who had just been in, because of his level of knowledge, and within earshot of me. Why don’t these places realise that most the people who are buying these £3k+ guitars are hobby guitarists and not full time musicians, hence why they can afford them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 20reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16255
    edited February 2019
    I've only been once, it's a little bit 'is that it' given how well known it is in these circles but lots of staff being helpful to lots of people so I'm sure I'd go there if I was more local. My son has an interview at the Uni down the road so I might be making regular trips to Guildford yet. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • This thread is like a pizza boy. It delivers.

Bye!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TBH 90% of shops I have been to in SE England have had helpful staff, even on most visits to Denmark St. So I shop on stock they hold rather than service. For this reason I like Guitar Village (best space), Ivor Mairants (tiny though), Guitar Classics and Wunjo's personally. GG and Andersons are ok and GAK & PMT etc if you like the box shifter gear.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Been there a couple of times, ordered a couple of times. Great service all round.