Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best guitar solos of the 90's

What's Hot

Comments

• KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1264
    ionian said:
    Get the funk out - nuno bettencourt

Brian May agrees, and he's a professor of wizardry and hairdressers or something 

Yep, this gets my vote too. Simply incredible.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    Another vote for Mr Tom Morello for his Killing in the name solo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited February 2019
    To be fair most of Tom Morello's RATM solos are brilliant, especially on that first album. Very creative. People who say "anyone can do that with pedals" - try it and see it's actually harder than you'd think, then realise that he came up with that rather than copied someone else. Created his own instantly recognisable style. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • "Information Overload" by Living Colour. Really nice live feel to that, I always think.

Actually, any solo off the Time's Up album is great.
    Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    I think I've found the winner- one of the best fuzz solos ever.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Also, without doubt- Layla Acoustic

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    From the 90s?

Amazed nobody has shoved any of these in yet but a selection of my favourites...

This is a Low - Blur
    Donkeys - Manic Street Preachers
    Paranoid Android - Radiohead
    Electioneering - Radiohead
    Live Forever - Oasis
    Anything by Bernard Butler
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Steve Craddock, James Dean Bradfield and Jonny Greenwood were the reason I picked up a guitar so anything by them

Honorable mention to Dave Navarro’s playing on the chili’s One Hot Minute too. The solo on Shallow Be Thy Game is probably my favourite 
  • Scar tissue - RHCP
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ionianionian Frets: 100
    I'm still voting for Extreme, but I can't believe I forgot Tom Morello's solo on Settle for Nothing. The major (Mixolydian) and jazz notes against the minor riff and tritone feel of the rest of the song was a moment of creative genius, and it is both jarring and simply perfect at the same time.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I was thinking about this earlier and paranoid android popped into my head along with scar tissue in solos which suited/made songs, along with Just.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    Satriani's Friends is a good shout - but what I really love about that tune is the drumming. Probably my favourite Satriani.
    Bettencourt's opener to 'Play With Me' is nothing short of inspirational, and again showcases his phenomenal rhythm playing too.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited February 2019
    For sheer feeling I think the solo in Don't Look Back in Anger is just perfect for the song  (great song). Doesn't have to be flashy or complex to be a GOOD solo...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Loads - but I’ll throw this one in and see if it gets laughed at...

Paul Weller - You do Something to Me.
    Already been called out twice on this thread so I think you’re in the clear from ridicule :)
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Lewy said:
    Iamnobody said:

Already been called out twice on this thread so I think you’re in the clear from ridicule :)
    My vote too. I was going to say Aztec Camera Summer in the city, but thats 1987, Pah!
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459

This is a Low - Blur

Wis'd - fantastic solo.
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    ESBlonde said:
    Lewy said:
    Iamnobody said:

My vote too. I was going to say Aztec Camera Summer in the city, but thats 1987, Pah!

And possibly not the name of the song either....   ;)
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    57Deluxe said:
    For sheer feeling I think the solo in Don't Look Back in Anger is just perfect for the song  (great song). Doesn't have to be flashy or complex to be a GOOD solo...
    If you are a simple chords and pentatonics player like me, solos like that are absolute gold to learn with.

My cousin is learning and doesn't like Oasis much, but DLBIA is such a good song to learn with, IMHO.  It was the first song with a barre chord I ever learnt!
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    edited February 2019
    Not a big Oasis fan, but I have to agree with those citing Live Forever.  One gem of wisdom from Brian May is that the best solos are those which the audience can sing along with, and that one certainly nails it.

I’ll still be sticking with this one as my pick, which I certainly can’t sing along to.

https://youtu.be/mJvG1i79CPc

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    57Deluxe said:
    If you are a simple chords and pentatonics player like me, solos like that are absolute gold to learn with.

My cousin is learning and doesn't like Oasis much, but DLBIA is such a good song to learn with, IMHO.  It was the first song with a barre chord I ever learnt!
    The outro riff to DLBIA sticks in my head more than the main solo, how to finish a song.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom