Using DAW and youtube

Hi

I've recently been playing guitar using positive grid's bias fx plugin in cakewalk. The plugin works well however the DAW will not let me play at the same time as a youtube video or audio from spotify. Does anyone know a way around this or if there are other DAWs that will allow me to do this?

Many Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    Use your phone to play the YouTube or Spotify audio into your DAW using a separate input?
  • Hi

I've recently been playing guitar using positive grid's bias fx plugin in cakewalk. The plugin works well however the DAW will not let me play at the same time as a youtube video or audio from spotify. Does anyone know a way around this or if there are other DAWs that will allow me to do this?

Many Thanks
    When you say it "will not let me", what do you mean? My guess here is that we're looking at an issue with the audio driver. I suspect that Cakewalk is demanding exclusive use of your audio driver. What kind are you using? If it's ASIO, one thing I do is to set Cakewalk to run with the ASIO driver, but my system to use the regular driver -- that is, not the audio interface used for Cakewalk. That seems to make it possible to run the two together. I haven't done it with Youtube, but I have successfully run Winamp and Guitar Pro at the same time as Cakewalk.

Another possibility is to delve into the Preferences of Cakewalk. I can't remember exactly (I don't have Cakewalk on this particular machine), but I seem to recall that on the playback tab there's a checkbox to do with suspending the audio driver when Cakewalk is not in focus. Unchecking that might allow other applications to use the sound driver.

My apologies if none of this is relevant to your particular setup. I've had various difficulties at various times with Sonar and Cakewalk playing silly buggers with sound drivers, so you have my sympathies at any rate.

Incidentally, is there not a standalone version of Bias FX? If you're not recording, that might help.
  • Hi

Many Thanks
    When you say it "will not let me", what do you mean? My guess here is that we're looking at an issue with the audio driver. I suspect that Cakewalk is demanding exclusive use of your audio driver. What kind are you using? If it's ASIO, one thing I do is to set Cakewalk to run with the ASIO driver, but my system to use the regular driver -- that is, not the audio interface used for Cakewalk. That seems to make it possible to run the two together. I haven't done it with Youtube, but I have successfully run Winamp and Guitar Pro at the same time as Cakewalk.

Another possibility is to delve into the Preferences of Cakewalk. I can't remember exactly (I don't have Cakewalk on this particular machine), but I seem to recall that on the playback tab there's a checkbox to do with suspending the audio driver when Cakewalk is not in focus. Unchecking that might allow other applications to use the sound driver.

My apologies if none of this is relevant to your particular setup. I've had various difficulties at various times with Sonar and Cakewalk playing silly buggers with sound drivers, so you have my sympathies at any rate.

Incidentally, is there not a standalone version of Bias FX? If you're not recording, that might help.
    Thanks for the reply

Originally when I tried playing youtube with cakewalk open in the background the videos would just buffer endlessly and never start playing. Since then I have tried the suspend audio driver setting in cakewalk and although this will allow me to play youtube videos with cakewalk open it suspends the audio from cakewalk and won't let the two play simultaneously.

I have also tried using the WASAPI shared driver instead of the default ASIO driver. This did something similar where I could use both but only hear one at a time.

With regard to using the standalone version of Bias FX the audio seems to be glitched in the standalone version and even when it does work the bitrates and latency that I get are a lot worse than running it through BIAS. 
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    What kind of audio interface do you have?