Any airgun/air rifle enthusiasts

What's Hot
I'm getting more and more interested in getting an air rifle and get shooting. I've pored over the moot points of the laws, regs and etiquette of owning and using an air gun. Any enthusiasts on here? Who could maybe clarify the landowners permission aspect of the law. Is it a written agreement or is verbal permission accepted? I'll prolly start by looking for a local authorised gun club (if such things exist) for advice and may start range target shooting if one is available. But ultimately I'd like to be in the great outdoors.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15477
    dunno if I'm an enthusiast, but I shoot air rifles, mostly on my own land for pest control and the pot (I do also target shoot, but that's just to keep my aim good). I do shoot on a couple of permissions, one i only shoot with the landowner so verbal is probably fine for that, the other I have written permission.
    Gun clubs are great places to get information, advice etc, but be warned, you will meet some people there who are the worlds best argument in favour of gun control. I've met some who I wouldn't trust with a staple gun, let alone a real one. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I once shot a moving spider from about 20 feet with a BSA Scorpion pistol. Not a bad shot if I say so myself.
  • VimFuego said:
    dunno if I'm an enthusiast, but I shoot air rifles, mostly on my own land for pest control and the pot (I do also target shoot, but that's just to keep my aim good). I do shoot on a couple of permissions, one i only shoot with the landowner so verbal is probably fine for that, the other I have written permission.
    Gun clubs are great places to get information, advice etc, but be warned, you will meet some people there who are the worlds best argument in favour of gun control. I've met some who I wouldn't trust with a staple gun, let alone a real one. 

I know two people who enjoy shooting, and one of them is a nutter who once pointed a loaded shotgun at me not realising he'd left it loaded in the back of his car. 

Farmers, eh? He was young at the time and his dad went absolutely fucking mental (he is the sensible chap)  

They do air rifles and shotguns for pest control mostly, although sometimes for the pot. 
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 711
    edited February 2019
    Used to shoot loads. Target and for the pot. Even entered the HFT Worlds competition in springer category. 

It’s best to get written permision just in case you get stopped whilst your out on the land. I would recommend you get to a club and get your aim in before live targets though, for obvious reasons. Getting permissions can be tough, unless you know a farmer or rent property from one etc.  FYI, asking if there’s someone who fancies sharing their permission is seemingly like asking if they would share their wife with you. It’s an odd one. I managed to get one easily but it does seem like I was very lucky. Also hated shooting with others as there was more chatting and farting about than anything else. And some people have horrendous gun safety! 

http://www.airgunbbs.com/ is the best forum for general info (also sales once you’ve posted a few times) and also http://shooting-the-breeze.com/ for target related. Both will have lists of clubs. HFT can be good fun and great practis for hunting, working out ranges and wind etc. FT is quiet exspensive to get into and not so related to hunting as you dial your enormous scope in at each target to range it. 

They can be a funny lots but in general I had fun and enjoyed it. 

Whatever you do, don’t ask “should I get a .177 or .22”. That’s like asking if you should buy a fender or a Gibson lol. There are loads who believe one way is the only way and you’d be a fool to choose the other etc. .20 was a waste of time in my opinion as the pellets are harder to come by. I’ve had .177, .20 and .22 in leagal limit rifles and .22 on FAC Air. If you fancy targets in any serious way, or feel you might not be good at judging 25 yards from 32 yards, just get a .177, as it has a MUCH flatter trajectory so ranging isn’t quiet as imperative. .22 drops like a stone and that’s the difference of a clean kill at 30 yards or a wounded animal running off because you got the range wrong and it was actually 35 yards. 

Most of the people involved in the clubs and forums are always happy to help and give you advice. Most like the sound of their own voice too ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    Airguns? Try air-guitars.....   ;)