Fitbit - any fans here?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
I got the wife a Fitbit for Xmas as she wanted one. Finally, after 7 or so weeks the novelty is wearing off and I no longer get a daily update on her sleep pattern and how much ‘deep’ sleep she had vs whatever other sleep it registers. Talk about driving you up the wall!

They seem to be marketted as a ‘fitness aid’, but basically all it does is tell you what exercise you are already doing. Mrs A might be doing x thousand steps every day at work, but she was doing that before she had it! 

Personally I agree with this phrase I heard on the radio last week:  “if your hobby is counting steps you need a new hobby”

So, am I wrong? Are they a good thing? Any fans. I almost quite fancy one to be honest to try out, but I’d need a waterproof one to count the 5 miles that I swim every week. Not paying that sort of money for a toy though!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I find that it can be a great motivation tool - can push you for that extra walk after the evening meal or one more active day per week to be able to achieve set goals. 
    Looks like your wife has to explore the options a bit more and set some targets which she'll then try to reach. Sure - it's not going to make anyone more fit on it's own but it works for me as a tool. 
    I also prefer a classic watch, I'm not interested in getting notifications etc on a smartwatch/wristband- I wear the simplest model - flex2 which is basically a thin wristband with some LEDs only - so it's not a fashion thing for me - which I know matters to many potential buyers. 
    It helps me to keep track of my activity pattern, sleep etc without going to technical about my lap times, inclines etc - there's better stuff for that too. 
    So - horses for courses - but I like mine and for what I bought it for 2/3 years ago - it was absolutely worth it.
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Wifey got me a Samsung watch for Christmas, which is kinda cool, but yeah - a bit of a novelty.  Basically just another thing to shout at me during the day for not doing what I was supposed to (time to get on your feet, fatty...)
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 962
    I dont think they are very accurate, especially the sleep tracking. got bored of mine very quickly after a couple of weeks or so. Lent it to a friend and he used it for about 3 weeks and also got bored of it.
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    edited February 2019
    I've used them for a couple of years now and have the versa atm. I chose over an apple watch at the time since I wanted a longer battery life and charging over night wasn't what I wanted. My versa lasts 4-5 days between charges.

I use mine for a couple of reasons. Firstly I work in IT so I get lots of messges, texts, calls etc and often and it's great to get alerts/notifications. Secondly, I'm a keen distance runner, so monitoring of resting heart rate overnight is a key indicator of training and recovery. Oddly I don't use the fitbit for exercise other than daily steps which tbh I'm not concerned with.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited February 2019
    They are all the rage among the other more upwardly mobile managers in my company, I just smile and say no when they ask if I have one.

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15923
    Long time Albion Rovers fan
    tae be or not tae be
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    I've just bought the huawei knock off which was sixty quid. I need to have goals and targets to work towards so achieving steps works for me. 
    I take it off as soon as i get to work and put a proper watch on.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I and lots of people I know have had multiple Fitbits break.

I have a Garmin now, much better.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    I got the wife a Fitbit for Xmas as she wanted one. Finally, after 7 or so weeks the novelty is wearing off and I no longer get a daily update on her sleep pattern and how much ‘deep’ sleep she had vs whatever other sleep it registers. Talk about driving you up the wall!

They seem to be marketted as a ‘fitness aid’, but basically all it does is tell you what exercise you are already doing. Mrs A might be doing x thousand steps every day at work, but she was doing that before she had it! 

Personally I agree with this phrase I heard on the radio last week:  “if your hobby is counting steps you need a new hobby”

So, am I wrong? Are they a good thing? Any fans. I almost quite fancy one to be honest to try out, but I’d need a waterproof one to count the 5 miles that I swim every week. Not paying that sort of money for a toy though!
    That sounds exactly like everyone I've ever known who has had a Fitbit ( including MrsTheWeary). 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    I had a basic Sony one for a while, until I lost it. For help with training as @mcsdan has said, they're a useful tool, but out with that, I just see them as a fashion item. For the couple months I had mine, it was interesting to see the data behind sleep patterns and performance, but it didn't really give me anything I couldn't realise from a bit more self-awareness. 
    've certainly had no desire to replace it, however I do use a heart rate monitor and dedicated GPS for tracking exercise (I opted for Polar, and I really like their training/recovery system), along with a HRV sensor for tracking recovery, which provides some good insights for any data geeks. If my HRV rating drops for no reason, it's a good indicator I'm coming down with something, and if it remains low, it usually indicates overtraining.
  • There's a fit bit at work. I think she's from the Czech Republic.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have one.. not religious with it but it does provide a sense of inspiration and focuses the mind.. helped to reduce the tyre I gained at Xmas.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• You're not using it property, if you exercise and set up the fit bit it will to timings  progress, and full breakdown at the end, it's not all about steps  for swimming it's great, 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    I had three all broke. They did replace each one though for free until I went with an Apple Watch. 

I found it helpful to push me to do a little bit more each day which was good but it also scared me as it registered my resting heart rate at 39 bpm which lead me getting checked out at the hospital. Alls good I just have an efficient heart.