First Jam As A Bass Player!

What's Hot
MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
So this week I'm going to attend an informal jam as a bass player!

I'm a pretty good guitarist and - like all guitarists - I think I can play bass too...  Only I can't, I've still got a long way to go..  Still trying to get my head into locking into a groove with a drummer.

Anyhoo - I'm quite excited about this.  The more I play bass (and the more I listen to the bass parts of tracks) the more I understand what I don't know.  My timing has definitely improved.

Nervous too though...  I can usually breeze though a guitar jam/rehearsal..
Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    MrBump said:
    like all guitarists - I think I can play bass too. 

Nervous though.
    Don't sweat it. The guitarists at your jam will probably pay so little attention to the bass guitar parts that you can get away with almost anything.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't forget to pack your Big Muff!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24201
    Don't worry - someone will be along in a minute to tell you that you can only play root notes.

Forever.

Not even Adam Clayton sticks only to root notes (close, but not always).
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Actually, I'm OK with root and fifth... at least I know where I am with the chords!  But when you attune your ears to the bass parts, there's loads more going on than I ever realised.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    It's a great thing playing bass, really improves your general musicality. I'm a bass player 'by trade' but have played guitar in bands for the last 20 years because I enjoy making more noise :)
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    actually, it's good this has popped up cos I was wondering how does playing something other than lead instrument work at a jam? My musical experience is limited to folk sessions, where you play folk/fiddle tune standards, if you don't want to take a lead break, just say so and no one expects you to do so, and orchestra playing, where you play the dots they give you to play. I've never been to a jam, but the ones I see locally it generally says all welcome, there will be the house/backing band, assuming people who want a spot will play a lead instrument. But what happens if you want to play bass?

erm, sorry for hijack, GL with the jam.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

VimFuego said:
    actually, it's good this has popped up cos I was wondering how does playing something other than lead instrument work at a jam? My musical experience is limited to folk sessions, where you play folk/fiddle tune standards, if you don't want to take a lead break, just say so and no one expects you to do so, and orchestra playing, where you play the dots they give you to play. I've never been to a jam, but the ones I see locally it generally says all welcome, there will be the house/backing band, assuming people who want a spot will play a lead instrument. But what happens if you want to play bass?

erm, sorry for hijack, GL with the jam.
    Disco Octaves.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Don't worry - someone will be along in a minute to tell you that you can only play root notes.
    A highly medicated character in my area was infamous for expecting pick-up bassists to restrict themselves to the lowest five frets on their lowest two strings. His exact instruction was, “stay out of my octave, maaaaaan.” 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A highly medicated character in my area was infamous for expecting pick-up bassists to restrict themselves to the lowest five frets on their lowest two strings. His exact instruction was, “stay out of my octave, maaaaaan.” 
    Throw him in the sea.
  • That’s how I started bass playing some years back at a local blues jam, best advice is try not to be clever & overplay, have a stock of basic blues riffs, perhaps a walking bass line & if all else fails roots n fifths & last resort just roots. Always remember someone has to stoke the boiler to let somebody else drive the train.

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835

Forever.

Not even Adam Clayton sticks only to root notes (close, but not always).

Really! I thought Adam Clayton only knew the root notes.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    He manages some passing notes between root note changes sometimes! :D 

I'm not a U2 fan - but if I could be paid what he gets for root notes... I'd be there in a heatbeat.

I'd use the money to release my experimental jazz album on the side.
  • I play the Bass part to Smells Like Teen Spirit over everything. Nobody has noticed yet.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    if it's on the side, how do you get the needle in the groove? Or is that a new form of jazz I'm not aware of?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835

I'm not a U2 fan - but if I could be paid what he gets for root notes... I'd be there in a heatbeat.

You and me both. Talk about money for old rope.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

New Years Day uses 3rds. Very memorable bass line too, just to give Adam a bit of support ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Don't think I know that song.
    I might even listen to it later!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    John_A said:

New Years Day uses 3rds. Very memorable bass line too, just to give Adam a bit of support ;)
    That's an early one.  Talking of early stuff, isn't there a bass solo of some kind on Under a Blood Red Sky?
    Not a big Adam Clayton, or U2 fan, just sticking up for him :)