Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Clearing out

What's Hot
John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
Over the past few years I've systematically been selling guitars and resisting the temptation to buy new ones and gone from around 20 to 5.

I do still suffer from GAS, but so far resisting well, I have 5 guitars that all get played and all get maintained and no endless list of unfinished projects to worry about, For me this was definitely the right decision

1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited February 2019
    Good for you. A Cabronita with a tone control? I'll have that one. The goldtop LP is tasty as well, is it an R7?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited February 2019
    That Washburn is very cool. Refin?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited February 2019
    Good for you. A Cabronita with a tone control? I'll have that one. The goldtop LP is tasty as well, is it an R7?
    You wont - they are the 5 keepers

Cabronita - DIY jobby paint from @lamf68 number one player gets used on everything
    Goldtop - 1980 Tokai LS80 40th birthday present covers rock band mainstay
    Gretsch Jet Japan 50th birthday present  Used for posh gigs 
    Orange USA Washburn more 
    paint from @lamf68 doesnt get used much but had it years and love it
    Vigier superb does everything, not used a lot other than recording, intend to use it more
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited February 2019
    Grrrr...I want the Cab... B)

edited February 2019
    Grrrr...I want the Cab... B
    Allparts neck, filtertron, guitarbuild body a few bits and off to Rich for some paint.  Relic work doesn't really show up in pics, it's light, but very well done

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1083
    edited February 2019
    I've always kept things down to small number 3 or 4 max and one amp. But I got the Guitar magazine collectors issue and it's made me want to build a proper collection of high end guitars and amps. 
    Noticed a few faces from the forum aswell in that issue.

Just need to find a way to finance it now 
    AlexO said:
    I've always kept things down to small number 3 or 4 max and one amp. But I got the Guitar magazine collectors issue and it's made me one to build a proper collection of high end guitars and amps. 
    Noticed a few faces from the forum aswell in that issue.

Just need to find a way to finance it now  :'(
    Don't bother - unless you have no life outside of collecting guitars it's a waste f money and a waste of time, been there, done that and wished I hadnt bothered
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • John_A said:
    Allparts neck, filtertron, guitarbuild body a few bits and off to rich for some paint.  Relic work doesnt really show up in pics, it's light, but very well done

That's a beaut. I've never built a guitar but that has me thinking. I could probably fudge the soldering but fret levelling, nut cutting etc would need a pro.

@RandallFlagg ; buy the bits and pay someone to put it together for you - life's too short :)  Saying that it's a piece of cake, the only thing I've done to this is screw it together and cut the nut
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Cool

• KeikoKeiko Frets: 962
    It can be very liberating selling all your guitars. Collecting them is definitely a mental health problem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Wish I had the nerve. I own over 80 guitars but every time I decide to sell one I realise what made me buy it in the first place and so  I keep it.
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Wish I had the nerve. I own over 80 guitars but every time I decide to sell one I realise what made me buy it in the first place and so  I keep it.
    I think what made me buy most of mine was nothing more than GAS.  The fact I now have a new car, no debt and more money in the bank than ever makes me very happy about realigning my priorities :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Wish I had the nerve. I own over 80 guitars but every time I decide to sell one I realise what made me buy it in the first place and so  I keep it.
    I applaud you for letting that big number drop so casually.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    That sparkle jet looks awesome!
  • Wish I had the nerve. I own over 80 guitars but every time I decide to sell one I realise what made me buy it in the first place and so  I keep it.
    Group shot!  Post a group shot!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2019
    TheMarlin said:
    That sparkle jet looks awesome!
    It's a beauty - Birthday pressie off the Mrs so it's on the keepers list, fortunately I love it

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Group shot!  Post a group shot!!!
    How big do you think his house is?
  • John_A said:
    Allparts neck, filtertron, guitarbuild body a few bits and off to rich for some paint.  Relic work doesnt really show up in pics, it's light, but very well done

That's a beaut. I've never built a guitar but that has me thinking. I could probably fudge the soldering but fret levelling, nut cutting etc would need a pro.
    A telecaster is the place to start if you are tempted to try building a guitar. 
    If you get stuck, there's a wealth of advice & experience on this forum. 
    It's addictive though! 
    Teles https://imgur.com/a/3HbWYnH

@John_A lovely collection. I cut to four recently & intend to get down to two soon. 
    @John_A lovely collection. I cut to four recently & intend to get down to two soon. 

Thanks - Dont think I'd ever get down to 2, although in my 'rock star years' that's all I ever had!  As I've got older I found I spent more time messing on with loads of guitars rather than enjoying them and playing them, so may benefits to reducing numbers and bonding with a few good ones
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom