Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bugger - PITA (literally)

What's Hot
Today I have been told that I have bowel cancer.

The better (Good) news is that the MRI shows that, while quite large, it hasn't, so far, spread so it can be surgically removed. The not so good news, apart from the diagnosis itself, is that it is so low down in the tubes they will need to fully remove a section and put in a stoma, which means a bag for me from now on - and a sewn up bum hole!

It is major surgery - takes up most of the day I'm told - but the surgeon is top in his field (robotic laparoscopic surgery). Even so it is likely to be a couple of months plus to recover. The date for surgery is a month away and I am struggling right now to think straight, but have a dilemma over working right up to the surgery, knowing it is risky, and, taking time off to be with family and to get as fit as possible for the operation.

I'm not even sure why I am writing this other than to get it off my chest, tel someone other than my wife (who has been amazing) and that writes down it somehow seems more real.

Apologies if this upsets anyone and Mods, please feel free to remove if that is the case.

Oh, and I may have to miss out on a few Jams which is another PITA!

Thanks for reading 

Tim
0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    jeez tim, that's awful. Glad they caught it early enough, surgery sucks, but not as much as death. 
    re working or not, I can't tell you what to do, but if it was me I'd spend as much time with my loved ones as I could.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7743
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5111
    Awful news...Really good of you to share your news I think.....My opinion is that if you can afford it, take some time off before the op. Get some walking in to build some fitness and stretch those legs. I guess you’ll be off your feet for a while afterwards...Sending Good Vibrations your way...
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Shit man, glad they caught it early, writing it down somewhere is really cathartic, as I found out in my thread.

I'd personally take the time off work to be around my family but I obviously don't know your financial situation .

If you need to talk drop me a pm anytime man.

Adam
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Wow, that sounds real scary. Hope it all goes amazingly well. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23906
    Good luck! 

• SRichSRich Frets: 762
    Tim

I know how you feel mate......it is horrible news to get delivered at you. However, as @tone1 says, take some time and get really fit for your op - revisit your diet - cut out caffeine etc etc.

As I found, it's best to do some research around the various types of surgery too - there are also possible further reaching effects of robotic surgery - in this instance Google is your friend. Take a little time when you're able to think straight.

Vent away as much as you can. 

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Best wishes mate, I'm sure you will have some fears and anxiety but stay strong, you'll get through it.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12253
    Hi Tim,

Sorry to hear that but good its been found and they can hopefully deal with it, although a bag is going to take some getting used to.

It was really good to meet you at the last hertford jam and it will be a shame you won't be at the next one.  If you are out of action for a while maybe @snags and I can round up some of the chaps and meet you somewhere between hertford and rugby when you are up and about for a beer/cup of tea or something if you aren't up to playing.

All the best

Adam
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    Cheers all for your thoughts. Day one and counting!
  • PITA indeed!!  All the very best of luck dude, hope it goes well.  

• Sorry to hear about the diagnosis.
    Hope it all goes well.
  • Sorry to read that...positive vibes is all I can offer.

I'd certainly want to spend as much time as I could with my family before a major op.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6635
    Sorry to hear that Tim,
    Spend time with family as they will be worried about you as well.

Look forward to you fully recovering and joining us at the jams again.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4286
    All the best Tim. 

Kick it in the balls. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Keep punching Tim. 

As calm as you can Pal.

If you need a rant and rave...nowt like doing it with a stranger. 

Paul.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    edited February 2019
    Don't whatever you do say that the bag improves your tone we'll all want one ! hope it all goes well fella
  • Damn!! Best wishes to you and your family.

Really glad you haven't lost your sense of humour, and that you have a great wife there to support you. 

All I can suggest is that you try and keep busy and try not to worry too much. Easier said than done I'm sure. 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5325
    Sheesh, that falls firmly into the "not good" category. Although still streets ahead of "inoperable".

Bizarrely someone else I know has recently had what amounts to the same diagnosis, and is going in early March for the same re-plumb. Been talking to his wife about it (I know her better than him, and he doesn't really talk), and it's just a "well, what the hell can you say?" situation.

For what it's worth, screw working right up to the op unless you absolutely have to financially. Do whatever you need to do to get as fit as possible, and get your head straight, and any prep for afterwards; I guess that means balancing work, "stuff", and sitting around at a loose end cogitating. And if my MiL is anything to go by, after a long period under general anaesthetic, be prepared to be a grumpy bugger for up to 12 months afterwards regardless of the speed of physical healing (and no, she's normally lovely, before anyone assumes it's just a MiL thing!). Probably not so much of a problem for you, but possibly for any nearest and dearest in the vicinity!

As @munckee says, let us know dates, and what you feel like doing. I'm sure a few of us would be more than happy to pop up and take the piss, or have a campfire sing along, or just sit around in companionable silence. Or you can tell us to FRO, that works too.

Will be wishing you all the best from here.

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6593
    Sending you best wishes. Sounds like a bit of a shock coming to you like that, but it seems like you're in the best possible hands and that they've found it in the nick of. Gonna be an awkward period of adjustment, but you'll be up and running before you know. We're amazingly adaptable beings, just don't try to rush anything....