Interesting twist-G&L Tribute ASAT Blues Boy...

What's Hot
BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
edited February 2019 in Guitar
I’ve come to the conclusion that a T style with a single coil bridge and humbucker neck pups will be the perfect guitar for me. I’m gravitating to the blues boy but I need to go somewhere that’s got one I can play alongside a Fender equiv, trouble is I hate the look of the Tele custom so it’ll be an American Performer at double the cost.
is there anything else T shape SH that I should have a look at?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12323
    Asats are great. They had a blues boy tribute in andertons a few weeks ago. Other option is build yourself a partscaster to get the humbucker bridge combo. 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1946
    Even though I hate Teles, I have owned an American Fender '62 Custom, played a Japanese Yamaha Mike Stern, Tokai TE and a British Fret King Green Label, as well as some others, such as a US Masters.

The G&L ASAT is the best of the lot of them, even though it didn't look as flash as the Masters.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Reverend Buckshot? 
    You could order a Gordon Smith Classic T in that configuration ( possibly there's one in stock somewhere that's SH but not that likely). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    I can't speak for alternatives, but I have a G&L Blues boy semi hollow and every time I think that it may be redundant and I should sell it, I pick it up and it just sounds so good that I can't do it.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rprrpr Frets: 309
    edited February 2019
    ESP do one IIRC
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    edited February 2019
    I have a Burns Tele that is so good I had to hide it from @munckee last weekend in case it went home with him 

http://imgur.com/gallery/tCsLu
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Reverend Buckshot? 
    You could order a Gordon Smith Classic T in that configuration ( possibly there's one in stock somewhere that's SH but not that likely). 
    Forgot about GS, I’ll have a look
    rpr said:
    ESP do one IIRC
    I spotted the ESP but the only one I liked the sound of in Reviews was the Ronnie Wood model and that’s over budget.
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    A few years ago I was looking for a guitar to set up specifically for slide, and the Blues Boy was one of the options, and was a really great sounding guitar. In the end I bought a MIM Tele with 2 coil tapped Humbucker pickups, only because it had more sound options available. The Blues Boy is a great guitar IMHO.
  • Mark1960 said:
    A few years ago I was looking for a guitar to set up specifically for slide, and the Blues Boy was one of the options, and was a really great sounding guitar. In the end I bought a MIM Tele with 2 coil tapped Humbucker pickups, only because it had more sound options available. The Blues Boy is a great guitar IMHO.
    I love my Mexican Tele but they only do an SH in the custom and it’s look leaves me cold, the G&L reviews just seemed to have that sound I was looking for but that could of course be all down to the amp they were using.
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Mark1960 said:
    I love my Mexican Tele but they only do an SH in the custom and it’s look leaves me cold, the G&L reviews just seemed to have that sound I was looking for but that could of course be all down to the amp they were using.
    I played the Blues Boy I tried through a Fender Blues Delux RI amp, and it sounded really good. TBH if I had my time again I would probably go with the Blues Boy, because I only ever use the neck pickup on the Tele anyway, and the hollow body of the Blues Boy give a different tone, that I really liked. If you went for the Blues Boy I don't think you will be dissapoined. Good luck with your search
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7391
    iirc with the Blues Boys the American made expensive one has a vintage neck radius, and the more reasonably priced one has a modern radius - it put me off buying the American one once back in the day 
    Red ones are better. 
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1257
    Assuming you can find one (I think it might have been discontinued as I haven’t seen one advertised for ages) then I highly recommend the Fender Graham Coxon signature Telecaster - mine’s an absolute cracker and being MiM very reasonably priced.
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    edited February 2019
    JayGee said:
    Assuming you can find one (I think it might have been discontinued as I haven’t seen one advertised for ages) then I highly recommend the Fender Graham Coxon signature Telecaster - mine’s an absolute cracker and being MiM very reasonably priced.
    That’s a great shout, thanks. 

Im in no immediate hurry as I’ve to sell a guitar to fund this one. I see a couple have sold on eBay recently for what was probably not far off new money so they are obviously a desirable axe.

Great looking too.
  • So I’ve just hooked the pick guard off my Tele and it looks like its cut out for a humbucker?
    The serial number is 03-04 and the pick guard has a date of Aug 03 on it so I think it’s all original. 

This isn’t my guitar body but it’s exactly the same. Thoughts?
    http://boydsguitars.com/2004-fender-mexico-standard-telecaster-midnight-wine-alder-guitar-body-w-bridge/

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    The ESP LTD TE-212 is like a budget version of the Ron Wood signature.

Pickups by G&B as used by PRS.Decent ones can be had for a couple of hundred. I've had one for a couple of years. Bit heavy but I won't part with mine, the sustain is excellent.