Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

All of Steve Vai’s guitars

What's Hot
New section on his website with details of all the guitars he’s owned!

https://www.vai.com/guitars/
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7852
    The Gretsch with P90’s is stunning!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Crikey, I thought I had too many but that is an incredible amount. Over 200 currently owned plus basses acoustics and exotic ones.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Over 100 of which are JEMs, blimey!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72313
    edited February 2019
    “Because he can”, obviously... a bit like his playing - why use one note when a hundred will do?

I am a fan by the way!

There’s some interesting stuff there as well as the JEMs and Universes - things from his very early days like the Gibson SG200 and the Univox Les Paul copy. I was trying to spot what his first guitar (before the Univox) was, but I must have missed it...

Aha! It was a red Tiesco, like the blue one. No picture of it.

Interesting that a couple of times he describes the SG as having "one pickup", when it clearly has two. But if I remember correctly, these pickups are resin-potted, so if they die you're screwed - and they're a unique size so virtually impossible to replace, without doing major work. Maybe his had a dead pickup.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I love the crazy stuff like the DNA ones, where his blood was mixed in with the paint.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Some amazing stuff there. I've got a Joe Despagni Jem - didn't realised he'd died until recently. I recently sold another guitar, and by complete coincidence, the guy who bought it used to be the owner of my Despagni Jem. Turns out that it was the guitar that Joe used to keep in his shop and loan out to people whilst he worked on their guitars. 
  • Ooo, an AZ in SSS configuration with strat controls...

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Of all of them it’s the blue Destroy All Guitars Telstar that I’m craving. Bloody love those guitars 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12362
    I can’t see any mention of Neville, unless I’ve missed it? Dave Malam (is he still on here?) owned it at one time I believe, may still do for all I know. 
  • I'm gonna be on this site all day!

I'd love one of these blue JEMs. One day....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12362
    Ooo, an AZ in SSS configuration with strat controls...

So basically........... a Strat then?  ;)
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    boogieman said:

I do like the slightly sharper edged aesthetic of these. It’s a bit like they stopped the morph between a Strat and a Jem half way through 
  • boogieman said:

Well, a Strat with a thinner neck, stainless frets, Luminlay side dots, massively superior upper fret access, etc etc.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    And I thought I had GAS bad!!!  How many guitars does one guy need!
    Fun looking through them though, I must admit.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72313
    Wonky said:
    I suspect either he or Ibanez just come up with an idea every few months/weeks, and they say "we'll make it for you" and he says "thanks". It's interesting that he seems to still play 'Evo' more than any of the others.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    ICBM said:
    Wonky said:
    I suspect either he or Ibanez just come up with an idea every few months/weeks, and they say "we'll make it for you" and he says "thanks". It's interesting that he seems to still play 'Evo' more than any of the others.
    It is nice to see he's got a favourite, like most of us.  Pretty much all the choice in the world but a special connection to one.
  • I  like the initial screen message:  "Please wait while we load almost 400 guitars".

No problem - I'll go put the kettle on.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    I'm gonna be on this site all day!

I'd love one of these blue JEMs. One day....

Not a guitar that would usually grab me but when I played that model a few years back I fell in love with it. Now I can't stop looking at them.
  • ICBM said:
    Wonky said:

A lot of the other guitars are used on his albums.  He will often layer different guitars for different harmony parts, different guitars for rhythms etc. 
  • Just flicking through and some of the JEMs seem to  have very little wood above the monkey grip, I wonder how common it is to have a break there. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom