MXR Micro Amp

What's Hot
I love what this pedal does. But what does it do? Just a JFET boost???

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It's not a JFET, it's an opamp: https://www.electrosmash.com/mxr-microamp
  • Ah, my mistake.

Bye!

• I have the MicroAmp Plus version with the added bass and treble controls. It's become one of my favourite pedals. I prefer it to the Xotic RC Booster I have which was quite a surprise.
  • how does it boost the signal without distortion. Unless the pickups are weak to begin with, surely any boost will be distorted by the pre-amp?
  • how does it boost the signal without distortion. Unless the pickups are weak to begin with, surely any boost will be distorted by the pre-amp?
    Depends how much you’re already running your amp. If your amp is clean then it’ll be able to add more clean signal before distorting. 

I really like the Microamp. Clean with a little bit of “more mids”. Highly underrated 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    how does it boost the signal without distortion. Unless the pickups are weak to begin with, surely any boost will be distorted by the pre-amp?
    That can be a good thing.  Get a good valve amp set to the edge of breakup, so it's clean when you pick gently.  Kick in the Microamp and it tips the amp over the edge.

I don't know about the newer ones, but the older ones had "half assed bypass". They can suck tone.  I sold mine and built myself a clone with true bypass.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17605
    tFB Trader
    I think it also has a slight mid hump like a clean TS.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    It's basically just a non inverting opamp circuit  ... using a good ol TLO61 JFET opamp with variable gain. Probably the simplest circuit for anyone to build being it's about £1.50 worth of  actual electronic components, add in a box, jacks and footswitch and you could still build it for less than £20
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Fuzzdog do a kit, £20 without enclosure. Tempted...
  • I'm a big fan of MXR. Don't care how cheap you can DIY one, I'm happy to pay to fund their company, coz they make really great stuff.

Whenever I kick on the MXR it just makes things sound bigger. A bit more compressed and in yer face.

I am really thinking about buying some more of their stuff too.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited February 2019
    I bloody loved my Micro Amp. It was a late '70s one. 

Years ago a mate and I used to lend each other pedals constantly. Eventually it all go a bit complicated and I very, very accidentally sold something that was his, thinking it was mine. I held my hands up to my error and offered him what I'd been paid for it or the pick of my collection, within reason, and a terrible, ghastly, evil grin spread across his face. And that was the last I saw of my Micro Amp...

Fuck it, I'm going to buy another. 
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJale said:
    I bloody loved my Micro Amp. It was a late '70s one. 

Years ago a mate and I used to lend each other pedals constantly. Eventually it all go a bit complicated and I very, very accidentally sold something that was his, thinking it was mine. I held my hands up to my error and offered him what I'd been paid for it or the pick of my collection, within reason, and a terrible, ghastly, evil grin spread across his face. And that was the last I saw of my Micro Amp...

Fuck it, I'm going to buy another. 
    hahaahaaa, who needs enemies when you've got friends like that!!

Bye!