Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How to spend £2.5k

What's Hot
Although it's a few years away, I am planning on a big guitar purchase for a big birthday. I think I'll probably have around £2.5k to spend.

I'm trying to decide what would be the best way to spend it. It's going to be a guitar I keep so re-sale value isn't likely to be an issue. 
In your opinion, what would be better, buying a used guitar e.g Fender, Gibson, a new guitar like Deusenberg, or getting a guitar custom made for me?

I'm not sure what type of guitar I want yet so not after suggestions of models, but just curious as to how you think that sort of money is best spent

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Huge 2nd hand guitar market now with so much choice at that price.
    I would go to somewhere like Codamusic and try their electrics & acoustics.
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    If you say resale value is not a factor, it’s purely down to your personal preference...

In my experience, resale value will always be a factor (eventually) for most people and you shouldn’t overlook this. Bearing this is mind, I’d go s/h Fender or Gibson custom shop.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • drpbierdrpbier Frets: 226
    Watching. Might be in the same boat - so far my thoughts are something from makers known for great quality but do their own thing. I have Patrick Eggle, Friedman, Music Man in mind.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8789
    Buy my Custom Shop ‘57 reissue Les Paul Custom. 

Job done, Bish bosh.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • drpbier said:
    Watching. Might be in the same boat - so far my thoughts are something from makers known for great quality but do their own thing. I have Patrick Eggle, Friedman, Music Man in mind.
    I have a few years to save so it really is early days but Patrick Eggle is one I've thought about. 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5359
    I've rapidly approaching a Significant Birthday and have come to the conclusion that as there is no one specific guitar I absolutely know that I really, really want I'm better off not attaching heavy money to the idea.

Instead, I'm hoping to use the intervening months to go and play lots of different guitars that have always held a mild curiosity, and look at whether anything super-nice comes up secondhand in either the double humbucker or dreadnought line.

Deciding that it needs to be big bucks because it's a big birthday when I don't actually have a "dream" or aspirational guitar in mind suddenly struck me as being a mug's game, and would likely end up with me regretting dropping the money down the line. If I can use it it to sneak two really nice but more affordable instruments past Mrs Snags' "there's no space left" detector that seems like a much better plan. Particularly as I've had an ace amount of fun out of a pre-loved Reverend recently for only a few hundred quid.

YMMV, but possibly worth a thought. And of course, you've got longer than me to fixate on "The One" at which point the game changes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    2nd hand without a doubt for me, I rarely see the point in buying new, unless its the only one available to you....I did do just that with a Preston Thompson Acoustic, I had been looking for a looooooooooong time for a used one and ran out of patience....
  • For my 30th I went to my shop of choice, played about 20 guitars and came home with a Gibson Dove, which was the best in the shop by miles. 

I then swapped that for a Martin HD28 18 months later, and that guitar is even better. 

My point, I guess, is not to get too hung up on the instrument itself, but that the shopping experience can be as much part of the gift as anything else. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • wesker123 said:
    Huge 2nd hand guitar market now with so much choice at that price.
    I would go to somewhere like Codamusic and try their electrics & acoustics.
    My advice exactly 
  • Speak to Martyn Booth. I've one of his guitars and it's in a different league to the Custom Shop Les Paul's I've had.

or

Add a bit more and spec a PRS Wood Library - this is my next guitar.
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14185
    tFB Trader
    I'd choose the used approach - You'll get more for your money, with less/little depreciation over a 10/20 year period , as most of the depreciation has already been paid by the previous owner - Vast choice of used guitars today and many in pristine condition with little use - Granted the guitar for sale might not be on your door step, but neither are many/any custom built options - No brainer as far as I'm concerned
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2096
    Yep. 
    For that sort of money, I'd be looking at scoring a deal on a used R8 or R9 Les Paul. 
    The people that buy those kinds of guitars are very unlikely to play them in too much anger. 
    That's generalising of course. 

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1435
    I'd be trying to find an 80's PRS Custom at that price point.  Great guitars and whilst I know you said you weren't bothered about resale, they are becoming collectable and should start to appreciate.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    edited February 2019
    Custom built Les Paul perhaps ? There will be 3 Ryder Les Pauls at the Brum show on Sunday.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    JerkMoans said:

Job done, Bish bosh.
    Details?
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8789
    roberty said:
    JerkMoans said:

Job done, Bish bosh.
    Details?
    Details :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I'd be on a train to Croydon for a cup of tea.

Good luck.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2368
    Dodge said:
    I'd be trying to find an 80's PRS Custom at that price point.  Great guitars and whilst I know you said you weren't bothered about resale, they are becoming collectable and should start to appreciate.
    They seem to have already hit a celiling. I don't see them appreciating at the moment. Even the 85's are being discounted from their once lofty prices. Nice guitars but then again so are the latest ones. 
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    I recently got a new custom shop strat from coda for £2.5k. Haggled them down £300 lower than list price as a 2017 model. I was s but worried it hadn’t sold for a reason but needn’t have been. Best strat I’ve ever played.