Gibson LPC 70's control cavity, original?

What's Hot
am after a 75 LP custom,

I have received a pic of the control cavities and it seems there is sonesomet I don't like much.. one of the pots seems to be replaced but does it everything else looks original to you?

Also the pickups rigs have holes.. not sure if it is original or not. I am attaching a few pics, I would appreciate if you can comment on it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Surely a Custom would have black pickup rings anyway?
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    It’s had a few changes, I was interested but knobs, plastics are changer and a, refret......don’t know about pickups or pots but chances are if the wiring has been disturbed ....
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    Non original covers for starters - think these are Schaller models with 3 a side holes

Ref the control wiring loom - certainly new pot and some new wires and poor soldering - Can be improved - How does the rest of the guitar stack up ? - I think the whole package needs to be looked at to determine i a good option to buy and at what price

I'm probably buying a 75 Tele this week with new switch and pots - Such guitars can't always be all original - But as long as the price reflects this then so what -

I wouldn't get to hung up about the odd wiring issue, providing no big issues on headstock breaks, etc
    Seller wants £2300
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Schaller ... with 3 a side holes
    Correct. The humbucker mounting surrounds are Schaller. These may not have the correct angle and arching to fit a carved top - even a shallow Norlin-era one.

On some LPs from that period, the mahogany portion of the body was formed from two pieces. In those cases, the glue line should be visible in the control cavity. 

Another thing that (possibly) ought to be in the control cavity is a stamped steel screening piece.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I would say it is a not go for 2300 then? Apart from one pot, does any 70s owner confirm the capacitors are original?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72320
    I would say it is a not go for 2300 then? Apart from one pot, does any 70s owner confirm the capacitors are original?
    Not original. Not that it matters... even if they're the wrong values, replacements are about £1.

£2300 doesn't sound bad if the woodwork is sound, the refret is good and the pickups are original. 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    ICBM said:
    £2300 doesn't sound bad if the woodwork is sound, the refret is good and the pickups are original. 
    Stone me. If that is what these now fetch, my musical collaborator ought to sell his ‘78 and put the proceeds towards refurbishing his belovēd 1977 Stratocaster.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    I would say it is a not go for 2300 then? Apart from one pot, does any 70s owner confirm the capacitors are original?
    Not original. Not that it matters... even if they're the wrong values, replacements are about £1.

agree that you find many 70's LP Customs for £2300 and more - I've not seen the full sales link to add further comment about value and originality - But if okay then I don't see an issue at £2300 today - And a good refret should be seen as a positive attribute IMO 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I take it from the parts wanted post the OP bought this? Looking forward to the NGD pics
  • Metallicum23Metallicum23 Frets: 39
    edited February 2019
    Koa said:
    I take it from the parts wanted post the OP bought this? Looking forward to the NGD pics
    Yes, I finally decided to buy the guitar.. and I think I made a good deal despite I had to pay an extra for its original hardcase. After reviewing it, all in the guitar is original apart from one pot, plastics and tuners. So great news!

Tuners and plastics are 70s but not original in guitar as was highlighted. Plastic are in white (now aged) with speedy knobs and tuners are 70s deluxe.

My aim is to find 70s gold waffleback tuners and black plastics to give the guitar its original look back,

It will take sometime to find original plastics and tuners though..haha

A happy ending by the sounds of it, that’s great. Once you forget the cost of buying those original parts you’ll have a really cool old Les Paul Custom. Pickups are obviously original, pat numbers and most likely T Tops. Really great sounding pickups, one of them may even have a date stamp. Congratulations!
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480

My aim is to find 70s gold waffleback tuners and black plastics to give the guitar its original look back,

It will take sometime to find original plastics and tuners though..haha
    @WezV has a set of original 70's wafflebacks which came off a 55 LPC that he is restoring for me.  I had him age a set of Kluson Wafflebacks with the plastic tuners, as that is what was on the 5o's customs.   The ones he has are metal buttons.  If you are interested, let me know and we can work something out.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @PhilKing PM sent