NGD! PRS Singlecut Satin (dentists look away)

What's Hot
timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2375
Many thanks to @baggybill for being an excellent seller and very easy to deal with. I first saw this on Facebook three weeks ago, as someone in Leeds was shifting it on at a very tempting price for a quick sale. I stared at it all evening, but there was no way I could get over to Leeds to pick it up, and watched it go the very next day. Then here I am browsing the forum and Sunday, and it needed rehoming again. I'm not one to ignore serendipity so here we are.

This is the closest thing I've ever seen to a relic PRS. The satin nitro finish dents very easily, and part of what made me fall for it in the pictures was the picking wear by the pickups. I adore the satin finish - the guitar actually feels like wood rather than shiny plastic. It's chambered, so it's very resonant, and also very, very bright and jangly acoustically. The wide fat neck is really comfy and the finish means my sweaty paws won't stick, which is a big bonus.

I'd seen mixed reviews on the PRS #7 pickups, but I think I like them so far. The A4 neck pickup is bright and quite scooped and woody sounding, and the bridge (which I'm pretty sure is A5) is very bright and barky in the upper mids, almost like a vintage voiced JB but without the bass. It actually makes the BKP Emerald in my Les Paul sound bassy in comparison! It does make for a very pleasing lead tone. The in between sound is almost single coil like in its clarity, it's nothing like my Les Paul or my SE Bernie.

It's a stunning guitar over all, and for me the biggest winning points are the chambering - light weight and resonant - and the finish.

Without further ado - pics!

Crappy phone camera can't quite manage macro:

With it's Bernie brother because why not?

Am I mad for wanting to either strip back or have my Les Paul refinished in this satin style? It's just so playable and feels so much nicer than the thick nitro on the LP - as I said above, I love that it actually feels like wood. Would this be feasible or not worth the bother?

Tim
0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I really like that, it's been up and down the road a few times and got some honest wear for it by the look of it. You don't see too many PRS that are road worn and I wasn't sure they aged well but that looks great. A quick polish of the frets, oil the fretboard, new strings and go...!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    You could get a satin Les Paul for cheap. The gold ones with the faux binding look particularly decent
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2375
    roberty said:
    You could get a satin Les Paul for cheap. The gold ones with the faux binding look particularly decent
    Very true - but I like *my* LP. It's a '17 Classic in green ocean burst and I've already modified it and made it mine. The only thing that stops it being perfect is the sticky neck, which I know will improve with time. But there's this devil on my shoulder going "imagine how nice it would be if it felt like actual wood".
    Tim
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    That’s fucking lush 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m not a big PRS fan but that’s a really nice looking guitar.
  • Beauty
  • I like the vibe of that, looks cool. I like the non-bound neck too.

(I am not a dentist)
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    One of the nicest PRSeseses I’ve seen - all the better without the dipped in glass look.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    That's a lovely guitar
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    Well I posted this to the PRS owners Facebook group and have been informed that this guitar used to belong to Richard Jones from Welsh band Fireroad, and it's been on tour with them when they supported Stereophonics. So it seems to have the story to support its scars!
    Tim
  • Gutted I couldn't keep it but I'm glad you like it :), truly is a great player. Also nice Bernie to go with it
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    Does this mean you’ll now sell me your Bernie?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fifty9 said:
    I'll sell the newbie before I sell the Bernie, sentimental value etc. Finding a bloody Trampas Green one was hard enough in the first place!
    Tim
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    timmypix said:
    Fifty9 said:
    I'll sell the newbie before I sell the Bernie, sentimental value etc. Finding a bloody Trampas Green one was hard enough in the first place!

hit me up if you do ;)
  • timmypix said:

This is the closest thing I've ever seen to a relic PRS....

My Custom 24 took a knock - but being one of those precious dentist types, I had it buffed out...

Before;

No photo description available

After;

No photo description available
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    1reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That repair's amazing! I can't even see any splines or a join.
    Tim
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    edited February 2019

• ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    edited February 2019

• timmypix said:
    That repair's amazing! I can't even see any splines or a join.
    Care of Martin at Sims, just outside Ashford in Kent.  The man's a wizard...

https://www.sims.guitars/
  • Your new Singlecut is fantastic, btw. Good score.