Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

DGT - A bit stiff?

What's Hot
I have been after a DGT for ages and finally purchased last weekend.
I am keen to stick with 11s but am definitely finding it a bit tougher to play than expected.  I am used to 10s on Fenders and have used 11s on Gibson and Collings.
Keen to hear if other owners stuck with 11s or changed to 10s. 
What about 10.5s? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 11s all the way for me, I tried 10s and way to soft. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Had mine for a couple of weeks and initially made a note to drop to 10s because of said stiffness but also how ‘up front’ it sounded.
    2 weeks later 11s feel just right and I can’t see me changing it
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    11's here. PRS Mcarty Trem, but still.

I use 10's on F scale guitars though.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I use 9-46 but have my action quite high. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    I've kept with 11s on mine even though I play 9.5s on Strats and where I can on anything else, 10s

I know what you mean, but I'd persevere with it and if it's still too much, try 10.5s rather than go straight to 10s.

I think the 11s are part of its appeal and the sound is so big.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    9-46's on Fender and PRS.
    10-52 on Gibson.

You adjust quickly to thinner strings.

I've done the thick string thing and have the surgery scars to prove it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2373
    Went back to 10’s on mine
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I've sold mine now, but I did put 10s on it rather than stick with 11s.

It might be worth experimenting with different strings.  I think that the Newtone 11s might have slightly less tension than some of the other brands.

I've got a similar dilemna with my Gretsch Falcon.  It definitely sounds better with 11s, but 11s on a 25.5" scale is a lot of tension.
  • 10s on mine with a low action - I use 9s on my Strat - though 13-56 on my acoustic (admittedly tuned down a full tone).

I’ve been playing for well over 40 years and suffer from no hand problems - I don’t see the point in working overly hard - particularly as I bend a lot.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    tFB Trader
    I've sold with both over the years

Some have tried the 11's - asked for a change to 10's and stuck with them - Some have then found 10's to slinky and gone back to 11's

Personally I prefer the 10's on a DGT - However 10-52 is another option - Keeps the low strings on a thicker gauge but slinky top strings

Yes you can now get 10.5's but I've never tried them yet
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8686
    I’ve tried 10.5s on several guitar types. They gave a slightly better tension balance with six-a-side tuners, but I felt they were too stiff with three-a-side. Then I went back to 10-52s simply because I could buy a set rather than having to piece it together.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Just give it a couple more hours and the anaesthetic should wear off by itself.

I suggest a primarily soup-based diet until then, or you might bite the inside of your cheek!
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 782
    I couldn't possibly manage with 11's unless tuned to E flat. In fact i now prefer 9.5 to 10's. Play what's comfy and eq your tonal preferences accordingly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the helpful responses.  Early days yet so will persevere with 11s as I do see advantages. Bends at the second fret are pretty hard work though. I also find the jumbo frets a bit bumpy but that is only a matter of time as well.
    I first saw DG in a 1991 so have quite an investment (both types) in buying one of these. 
    I had a gorgeous Collings from @guitars4you ; with 11s and am slightly surprised that an extra 0.25 inches in scale makes as much difference.  It could also be that my hands are out of shape a bit because of my current domestic circumstances .

DLM said: Just give it a couple more hours and the anaesthetic should wear off by itself.

I suggest a primarily soup-based diet until then, or you might bite the inside of your cheek!

It took a minute or two but I get it now.
    Top bants! 

• Stick with it, play it a lot and you will soon adjust to .011s and the jumbo frets. Once adjusted everything else will feel too soft but take a 2 week holiday and when you get back it will feel like railway sleepers and steel ropes again!

• Try out some different gauges. I've gone from 9s to Newtones 11s on my Tele. Nice under the fingers but still twangy.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited February 2019
    And also take note of what Octatonic said - if there's pain there or anything akin to repetitive strain in your hand, wrist or shoulder, take a break or if it continues, 11s are not for you.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    10 - 46 on my Custom 22 and pretty much everything else apart from my 339 which has 11 - 49
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5141
    edited February 2019
    10-46 for me on everything... sorry, not tried a DGT. I find 10-52 a bit bassy and muddy on the low end. I know I could eq a bit... This is only at home volume. I wouldn’t have thought the slight difference in thicker strings would make that much difference, but it does.. especially in drop D etc
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    tFB Trader
    tone1 said:
    10-46 for me in everything... sorry, not tried a DGT. I find 10-52 a bit bassy and muddy on the low end. I know I could eq a bit... This is only at home volume. I wouldn’t have thought the slight difference in thicker strings would make that much difference, but it does.. especially in drop D etc :)
    With the extra 'mass' from a .52 Low E v a .46 then I find I just drop the p/up height a touch to stopping it going to boomy

I just prefer a  .52 as it is tighter than a 46 - So with a lowish action and SRV walking bass line shuffles then it does not rattle