Strumming Arm Position with Acoustic Guitar presses into arm

What's Hot

Hi all,

I have been practicing guitar for around 4 months and have the Yamaha FG700MS. I have had the same issue since I started of the guitar pressing into my strumming arm, its not to the point of numbness but it’s uncomfortable and i can feel my arm going heavy after about 20 minutes. I have tried repositioning but nothing is working for me, I am 5ft 9 so I dont think the guitar for me is too big but I could be wrong. I have tried the classical position but do not find it comfortable for playing chords. I am thinking I may need a smaller guitar, are there any good smaller guitars that any of you could suggest for me? Any other advice is great too, thanks you!

Here are some pictures to help see my position and the issue: https://imgur.com/a/EBDnxfC

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• barry2tonebarry2tone Frets: 212
    edited February 2019
    Hi Domple,
    there are some useful suggestions  about general tissue condition and preparation this current thread.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/2155208#Comment_2155208
  • Thanks for the great suggestion will give the stretches a try.
  • It's difficult to tell from the photos, but do you have a footstall to place under your left leg, as the guitar looks like it's sitting too high under your right arm. I play guitar rested on my left leg, as this is closer to it's position when stood up playing, so may be worth a try. It's probably worth booking up some face-to-face lessons as a good tutor should be able to position the guitar correctly for you.
  • No not footstall, normally i sit on the floor with crossed legs, or on a small stool. The tutor idea is probably looking like the best at this moment, thanks!
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    edited February 2019
    yup, looks like the guitar is too high (oddly enough, when sitting I have the opposite problem and have to raise my right leg up), try playing either as carpe says on a raised left leg ala classical position or mebbe flat right leg. 

EDIT: just saw you say you play cross legged on the floor? If so, that's a pretty bad position to play, if you don't mind me saying. Try and get into the habit of playing stood up if you can, and certainly try sitting on a chair with your thighs parallel to the ground.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I sit up on the arm of the chair when I practice :+1:  good pos for me. Drum stools are good too