New funk groove

Beginning a new composition. 

AmPro Tele, Hypergravity comp, Sub n Up, El Capistan, volume pedal, RC-3, Blues Cube. Recorded on phone in front of amp, so apologies for shocking quality.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    The basic idea is good. Could do with either a key change or a second chord progression to break things up. Bass part would determine whether the composition deserves to be called Funk or not.
    Be seeing you.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3490
    Yeah...I thought I was stretching a point as I typed that... :#   My playing background is in 60's/70's funk - JB's, Funkadelic, Meters - and it isn't that...

It actually came about as I was trying to think of ideas for the afrobeat band I play in, and it doesn't strike me as that, either. 

You're right about it needing some motion. I've got modal forms on the brain right now. 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Greatape said:
    afrobeat 
    I hear the guitar motif and texture as Gilmourish. With piano, Wavestation and a Gabrielese guide vocal, it could take a whole other direction. 
    Be seeing you.
    Interesting. 

I need to mull. I feel it needs a modulation. On top of everything else. And do away with the eight bar doublestop melody part. 
    Thanks, Funkfingers. Appreciate the perspective.