Steely Dan in 3Arena this Thursday

RockerRocker Frets: 4947
I got a present of a ticket to the Steely Dan concert in the 3Arena (Dublin) this coming Thursday.  I am not a Steely Dan fan but I know and can recognize some of their songs: Rikki...., Reelin...., Aja and a few others.  I had a vinyl copy of Aja sometime around the late 1970s.  It was recommended to me by the owner of a music shop and I listened to it a lot at first but other bands like Dire Straits took its place.

So basically, what can I expect to hear this Thursday?  I am looking forward to the concert, friends of mine who saw the band play Dublin in the past, said the show is memorable.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    Expect the unexpected. Listen with an open mind. Maybe, Fagen will play some material from his solo albums?
    Be seeing you.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    As @Funkfingers advised, I went to the concert with an open mind and I am glad I did.

The show was opened by Steve Winwood and his band.  Almost all new music to me and I enjoyed his contribution but for a nasty loud 'one note' bass drone/howl that remained during the Winwood show.  It was so bad that it affected the vocals and the guitar sounds.  Why it was not noticed by the sound guys and eradicated, I don't know.    Very impressed with the drummer (who was positioned on the left side of the stage (on the right from the audience perspective).

After the interval, Steely Dan came on stage.  Straight away the sound quality and clarity was up several notches from the Winwood time.  Gone was the bass drone/howl.  First things first, the drummer and bass were among the very best I have ever heard.  Anywhere.  The bass player sat on a stool and played it dead simple.  And he absolutely nailed it.  Every move by the band members on stage were expertly choreographed and carried out with precision.  Precision was the name of the game, they got everything absolutely spot on.  I was surprised and delighted to see and hear them play 'Rikki don't lose that number' which is one of my all time favourite songs.

A lot of Steely Dan music is, shall we say, an acquired taste.  I found some of it uninvolving and spiritless but expertly played.  If you can follow my drift.  Soundwise it was excellent and the lighting was very good.  Interesting to observe the other patrons at the show.  Most were on the 'older' end of the scale, the age profile was at least 50 and upwards.  Similar in that regard to the John Fogerty concert I attended at the same venue a few months ago. There was a large standing area in front of the stage which was full.  Full not packed like sardines in a tin.  I noticed many people leave their seats and go stand in the standing area.  A few mobile phones to be seen but not a very serious distraction.

I am glad I went.  I enjoyed the show even if Steely Dan music does not quite float my boat.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• With Jon Herington on guitar, excellent no doubt as usual.  He has a lot of insights into playing the "Dan" material on his blog at Truefire.com.