Good short scale beginner bass?

What's Hot
Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
I’ve been playing guitar for a couple of years now, but I’m looking for a bass for studio work. My current guitars are a Squier VM jag and an epiphone sheraton II. I’ve been looking at several basses and decided short scale is the way to go for me. So far I’ve seen the Hofner Ignition Club bass, the Ibanez talman and the epiphone embassy (not sure if short scale) What’s everyone’s thoughts on these and other suggestions? Preferably trying not to go over £300.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    edited February 2019
    Squier VM Jaguar Bass Special short scale version. Should be readily on eBay well within budget.

The Squier Mikey Way signature bass is a Mustang with an EMG35-sized pickup. This makes it easy to upgrade to professional quality electronics.

The Ibanez Mezzo has won quite a few friends recently.

Cort makes a ¾ Action Bass. Ibanez Mikro, Jackson Minion, Gretsch G2224 Junior Jet Bass II, blah, blah.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Not sure why you think short scale would be your thing? I bought a Squier Jazz some years back secondhand and I think it is a great bass for the money, not short scale though
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    The Hofner Club is a nice bass with a very defined sound (v similar to the violin bass) but is perhaps not the best choice for studio work as its bridge makes accurate intonation difficult and when recording may be noticeable.
    Tired, old flatwound strings would go a long way towards disguising the intonation issues. ;)

Sadly, this forum's number one Höfner Ignition Bass fiend has been conspicuously absent for several months.
    Be seeing you.
  • Bought a Mex P bass.
    Double your budget but the Ibanez Mezzo short scale bass I initially bought was a bit naff so I upgraded. New to bass but love the P!
    Calum13 said:
    a bass for studio work.
    JonHosker said:
    P bass ... the Ibanez Mezzo short scale bass I initially bought was a bit naff so I upgraded. New to bass but love the P!
    Ah, yes. The perennial favourite, whose sound fits in with just about every style of music EXCEPT Motörhead, the Precision Bass (or a good copy) with flatwound strings.
    Be seeing you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Calum13 said:
    I’ve been playing guitar for a couple of years now, but I’m looking for a bass for studio work. My current guitars are a Squier VM jag and an epiphone sheraton II. I’ve been looking at several basses and decided short scale is the way to go for me. So far I’ve seen the Hofner Ignition Club bass, the Ibanez talman and the epiphone embassy (not sure if short scale) What’s everyone’s thoughts on these and other suggestions? Preferably trying not to go over £300.
    Squier VM Jaguar Bass. Only £200 brand new, and astonishing value for money.

The Epiphone EB-0 is slightly cheaper, but much more limited.

Funkfingers said:

Ah, yes. The perennial favourite, whose sound fits in with just about every style of music EXCEPT Motörhead, the Precision Bass (or a good copy) with flatwound strings.
    And with roundwounds, a P-Bass will do Motörhead too. There is literally no type of music you can't use one for.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I tried the Ibanez Talman and the Squier VM as bass and found the Squier had a much more familiar feel.

The bridge looks very cheap and pick guard is not very well fitted but for £180 I'm more than happy with it. 
    ICBM said:
    with roundwounds, a P-Bass will do Motörhead too. There is literally no type of music you can't use one for.
    You are metamorphosing into Bridgehouse. Stop it at once!  =)
    Be seeing you.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    ICBM said:
    with roundwounds, a P-Bass will do Motörhead too. There is literally no type of music you can't use one for.
    You are metamorphosing into Bridgehouse. Stop it at once!  =)
    How do you know @ICBM isn’t just my (really smart) sock puppet?
    That is an infinite improbability. 
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Squier Bronco. Change the pickup for a Lace Sensor and you're away.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Squier Bronco. Change the pickup for a Lace Sensor and you're away.
    Wisdom!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• KristoKristo Frets: 123

I have a Brandoni short scale bass put together by Roberto Brandoni using vintage parts. It's fitted with Labella flatwound strings, sounds & plays great and is in your budget. Drop me a message if you're interested. Cheers.

https://i.imgur.com/xIHMknO.jpg

• SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    edited April 2019
    I have a Hofner Ignition and a 60's Ltd Edition Epiphone EB0 which is like the EB3 ie fixed neck, 2 pickups, 3 way chicken head selector but a shortscale neck with dot markers. Both are easy to play and record well. I got both secondhand for considerably less than your budget. 

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Try as many as you can before you buy. I find bass necks as much agro to find a decent one as guitar necks
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    Squier Bronco. Change the pickup for a Lace Sensor and you're away.
    What Lace pickup would you recommend. These are dirt cheap. What's the catch!? 
    The Gold, Emerald and Silver Sensors are the most Strat-like in their sound. In this sense, they will more closely resemble the pickup used in vintage Fender Musicmaster Bass guitars. 

Obviously, any other Lace "Stratocaster" replacement models will work but the tonal balance may not suit so bass so well.
    Be seeing you.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    Just looked at these on Thomann, euro price is €177. How can they afford to make these so cheap? Looks like one of these would be great fun for a home studio set up! I might be sold on one!
  • My interest was piqued the other day by a new line of Ibanez medium-scale basses. A nice half-way house size if you're wary of going up to a full size bass. Also have a nice vintagey vibe to them rather than the more modern looking basses that make up the bulk of the Ibanez line.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-guitars/modern-bass-guitars/ibanez-srmd200-spn-4-string-bass-guitar-in-sea-foam-pearl-green