RIP Jules Fothergill aka SlideJules from the old forum

LewyLewy Frets: 4155
edited March 2019 in Tributes
An absolute monster of a player. 

I didn’t really know him but did a gig with him years and years ago and he so comprehensively outclassed me it might have been a horrible experience were it not for the fact that he was such a lovely guy.

I don’t think he’d been ill for long. Statement from his band (Northsyde) says it was an aggressive cancer. Such a shame. 

https://www.facebook.com/157190304338121/posts/2242821692441628?sfns=mo
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited March 2019
    These tributes are normally people whose records you've bought or seen in concert.  Not someone you've chatted with over a pint.  Fucking hell, RIP indeed.

We exchanged PMs on the old forum and went to the same jam nights - the drummer from my first band (when we were early 20s) went on to be the drummer in Northsyde.

Me and my family only saw them in August at a festival, when Jules loved my 6 year old being up at the front, wearing ear defenders and headbanging to his extended solo.

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2192
    edited March 2019
    That's such a great shock and such sad news.

I first got to know him at a blues jam in Twickenham when he was really young. His talent was clear even then. 

We ended up doing quite a few gigs together in a band called Guilty Party. A thoroughly great bloke and a fantastic player. It was always a pleasure and inspirational to work with him. A totally supportive musician.

We lost touch over the years but there are so many memories. Even my first date with my wife, where we went to see him playing with a bunch of friends in a band.

A terrible loss.

It's not a competition.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12292
    What a shame RIP
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    What a shame RIP
    This. :/
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Sad news. RIP Jules
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1204
    Christ! I realise this is an old thread but today I was wondering what Jules was up to and I ended up reading this.

I wasn't a big mate of his or anything, just a fan of his playing, but we exchanged a few messages about music;  particularly people like the ex-Allman-Brothers' Jack Pearson. (I think he went over to the US just to meet him at one point.)

Absolutely devastated to read this. RIP SlideJules, hope you're jamming away somewhere with Duane, Greg and Butch.

• thingthing Frets: 469
    edited April 2023
    Yeah I missed this one. RIP bro. It must be well over ten years since Jase Morris died as well, Tempus fugit and all that.
    This is absurd.  You don’t know what you’re talking about.  It warrants combat.