Martin 00-15m alternatives? Something smaller?

What's Hot
brucegillbrucegill Frets: 719
edited March 2019 in Acoustics
got a hankering for a 00-15m. Really want an all Hog again after having an old Gibson b25 years back. I like smaller guitars, have an Atkins LG47 that I love but fancy something slightly smaller to go with it. Don’t mind a 12 fret, love Parlor Guitars. Fancy something cheaper than an Atkins too so I can take it on holiday and not stress about it quiet so much. 

Any thing you guys think I should look into? 

Anyone have an Auden Emily Rose? No idea what these are like. 

Nothing from Taylor I’m afraid. Not my bag. I did like their all hog (no idea of model number) but just couldn’t gel with it. Seemed soulless. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    What’s the budget?  Really going to have a job beating a 00-15 
    How about the Sigma equivalent?
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 719
    Thanks. I just can’t see how they would be all solid and any good at the price?! I keep seeing them pop up and some look way nice than the Martins lol. Maybe I’m completely wrong and I have nothing to base my opinions on. I should check some youtube vids out, though I’m never sure how much you can really tell from them.

The Martin seems to be £1350 new and anything from 700-1000 second hand. 

I figured the martin would be nice against my LG47 so I have the Martin sound and a Gibson sound. And the longer scale length would be a Nice alternative to the LG too. The 000-15sm look right up my street but I’ve never had a 1 11/16” (LG47) nut guitar AND a 1 3/4” at the same time so worried they may be a pain to go between. I do like the way a 12 fret is shorter though. 
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Guild usa f20 or m20 all day every day :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    The recording king 12 fret model is insanely good.
    Guild usa f20 or m20 all day every day :) 
    I’ll have a look! Always forget about Guild for some reason. Don’t think anyone stocks them locally. Thanks! 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    edited March 2019
    Alvarez. MPA66SHB. All solid hog parlour. Alvarez go under the radar a bit in the UK, but have a good reputation in the US. Andertons have recently started stocking them MPA66SHB under £600. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I tried a Guild M20 in Guitar Village, nice guitar. The Eastman E10 00 I preferred though, ended up buying the E10ss.

I really liked the Guild Troubadour I tried in Guitar Sound but it went at Christmas or if have nabbed it in the new year. Bags of character and fun for the money.
    There’s not going to be much to call between the Sigma and Alvarez at the lower end of things. Sigma will be easier to find used. Often seen on eBay for £160 ish. At the price of a round of drinks worth a go in my opinion. I have a J45 copy from Sigma and it’s utterly great at the price 
    Different matter when you get up to Guild and Martins, it will involve a trip out and some testing. 
    Martin doesn’t make a poor solid wood guitar despite what some says. 
    Thanks guys. Will check the Alvarez and Eastmans out. Think your right @Andy79, won’t be much between Sigma and Alvarez at that price point, and think I’m going to probably want something at the higher end. Still seems crazy Eastman are so exspensive but they seem to be getting a good rep on here and on the net. Not tried one yet. 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3202
    Eastman are worth a look as said above. The Auden Emily Rose is lovely too, a mate of mine is an endorsee and has an early one, it’s a fantastic guitar (check out Kenneth J Nash, there will be sound clips and YouTube’s a plenty). 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3495
    Guild M-120.
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    I haven't tried the Alvarez MPA66SHB but I see that it is in their Masterworks (hand-crafted) series with all-solid woods -  unlike the Sigma (solid top only). I've had a lefty MPA70E (solid spruce and rosewood) from the same series and it was a fantastically built and finished guitar with a beautiful balanced tone which rivalled similar size US boutique guitars I've tried. It is certainly in a different league to the Sigma. You should be aware that it has a short 61 cm scale length and the neck is a bit chunkier than most modern guitars.
    GTC said:
    I haven't tried the Alvarez MPA66SHB but I see that it is in their Masterworks (hand-crafted) series with all-solid woods -  unlike the Sigma (solid top only). I've had a lefty MPA70E (solid spruce and rosewood) from the same series and it was a fantastically built and finished guitar with a beautiful balanced tone which rivalled similar size US boutique guitars I've tried. It is certainly in a different league to the Sigma. You should be aware that it has a short 61 cm scale length and the neck is a bit chunkier than most modern guitars.
    Thanks for the info! 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    Timely thread for me as I’ve just joined and am looking for something similar. 
    edited March 2019
    drofluf said:
    Timely thread for me as I’ve just joined and am looking for something similar. 
    A 0015M just came up on eBay for a really good price! I had a proper go on a dreadnaught for first time in ages yesterday and starting to think I may keep my LG as the smaller bodied guitar and get a Dread too. Fickle, I know. 
    edited March 2019
    I saw that one on eBay. Looks to have been very well played in
    Very nice but sadly out of my budget. On the plu side I tried a bunch of guitars yesterday and may have found something. Just need to clear some space first to comply with my one in, one out policy. 
    drofluf said:
    Very nice but sadly out of my budget. On the plu side I tried a bunch of guitars yesterday and may have found something. Just need to clear some space first to comply with my one in, one out policy. 
    Good you’ve found something! What are you looking at? 
    Looked a good range yesterday: Martin, Faith, Taylor, Alvarez, Tanglewood and spent a ninety minutes playing, can only manage about 20 minutes on my dread before it gets uncomfortable so the smaller body works for me. May have a deal lined up but don’t want to jinx it!