Where to try a Sire Bass?

What's Hot
DmlkDmlk Frets: 15
Hi

I was wondering if anyone knew where in the UK supplies Sire Basses (Sire Marcus Miller Basses). My brother wants to try them out but when we googled them it seems they are only in Andertons.

My brother is based in Manchester and there does not seem to anywhere near by that stocks sire bass. He wants to try the bass before he buys it.

Help clues where they could be in the UK other than Andertons?

Thanks for your help in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I thought they were thomann and now andertons exclusive basses. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • DmlkDmlk Frets: 15
    DrJazzTap said:
    I had no idea. This may explain why my brother cannot find them anywhere. Thanks for your input.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited March 2019
    DrJazzTap said:
    @Dmlk - This ^^

I have 2, one from Thomann ( a V7), before they were available here, and one from Andertons (a V3). Both were well set up straight out of the box.

They can vary in weight (a known Sire fact) but I'd recommend them to anybody and they punch well above their weight.

The Marcus Miller 18V preamp in those models is excellent and can also be switched from active to passive mode. Also, if the batteries run down, you can carry on in passive mode.

In fact, there's a nice, upgraded one on here (no affiliation)
     - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/147040/sire-p7-precision-pj-5-string-with-nordstrand-pickups#latest

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    (Moved to Bass)
    Sorry I posted to wrong area.

Thanks kebabkid. My brother wants to play it so he can try them out in person. Looks like a trip out of Manchester to visit andertons is the only way. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Dmlk said:

Thanks kebabkid. My brother wants to play it so he can try them out in person. Looks like a trip out of Manchester to visit andertons is the only way. 
    No problems at all!
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Dmlk said:

With cost in mind, it'd be more economical to buy online and have the 14 day return policy if you dont like it.
    Or buy used, try at your convenience and sell on with minimal loss.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Hi Winny

Thats an idea. I wonder if my bro would want to do that. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    Kebabkid said:
    They can vary in weight (a known Sire fact) 
    This is sufficient reason to justify trying several examples in person before settling on whichever one feels and sounds most satisfying. 

Try as many body shapes and pickup permutations as possible. Marcus Miller is associated with 2 x J pickups. Your brother's needs might be better satisfied by something with a P-type pickup or, possibly, the larger "soapbar" types of the M series.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Hi Funkfingers

This is why I was trying to ask where stocks Sire basses. Are they really only in Andertons in the UK?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    Affirmative. 

I appreciate that a day trip from Manchester to Guildford is time-consuming and that travel costs could seem disproportionately large compared to the eventual purchase price of the instrument.

In your brother's position, I would want to get my paws on several examples of the supposedly identical instrument. Don't be palmed off with something that weighs as much as a boat anchor. I do not know how far the Anderton's storage and set-up facility is from their retail outlet. Allow enough time to for instruments to be driven across town. 

Be bold. Stroll in. Make your intention to purchase clear. Apologise to the salesperson that you might have to be a bit of a PITA until exactly the right instrument is detected. 

As Winny_Pooh suggests, your brother could go through repeated cycles of mail order, dissatisfaction, return. 

If distance selling and pot luck makes better economic sense, I suggest grabbing the last of the Version 1 Sire basses for approximately £200. With a set-up and a few modifications, your brother should have a keeper.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Alfi27Alfi27 Frets: 52
    Hey, I have a handsome looking Sire Marcus Miller V7 4 string in alpine white that I am considering to sell! Based in Liverpool City Centre, and I'm thinking £300 for it. Should be easy to flip for the same price if it doesn't satisfy  ;)
    Shoot me a PM if this could be of interest! 
    Hi Alfi27, I have messaged my bro to see what he wants to do. thanks for the offer.
  • I’ve just taken delivery of a series 2 V3. If your brother wants to try that he’s welcome to - I’m at the other end of the M66 in Rossendale.
    I’ve just taken delivery of a series 2 V3. If your brother wants to try that he’s welcome to - I’m at the other end of the M66 in Rossendale.

HI Spanelchip, thanks for the kind offer. I will pass on the message to my bro.