WTB sliver face fender champ

What's Hot
Wanted .. sliverface champ or vibrochamp cash waiting  based in south wales but will travel must work cheers James.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14610
    will travel, must work
    You just described yourself.  ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72761
    Hold out for a Vibro Champ if you can - the tremolo is one of the best on any amp, and they’re not that much rarer.

I’ll keep a look out up here, at least it’s one of the easiest and safest amps to send.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    There’s a silver face champ on Gumtree in Fife , Scotland at the moment, changed speaker £450. Don’t know if that’s any help, is that what they go for?
    Koa said:
    There’s a silver face champ on Gumtree in Fife , Scotland at the moment, changed speaker £450. Don’t know if that’s any help, is that what they go for?
    A bit high unless it’s in perfect condition and the speaker is something good - the original isn’t anything special, so something like a Weber is an upgrade, but you know what people are like about originality - and that would be more like a Vibro Champ price. Plain Champs are a bit cheaper. But yes, that is in the ballpark these days...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• benecolbenecol Frets: 400
    I'm in Gloucestershire, and have got a SF Vibrochamp! All original, sat in a hairdressers in Brighton for years as decor (the amp, not me). Couple of reflectors missing from the knobs, that's it! UK voltage etc.

Shoot me a PM?
  • I went see one last in port talbot he wanted £400 and the thing didn’t work! @benecol  I’ve Inboxed you 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1391
    there's a minty vibro champ in the Little Guitar Shop here in Brum. 
  • @bbill335 thanks just looked I wouldn’t pay £750 for one 
    @bbill335 thanks just looked I wouldn’t pay £750 for one 
    That's bonkers, especially as a '78 is late enough to have a particle-board cabinet and hence is less desirable.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14610
    £750
    That figure is the bottom end of pre-owned Cornell Romany Plus territory. There used to be a variant with built-in wobble but it was Tremolo rather than Vibrato.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Funkfingers said:

That figure is the bottom end of pre-owned Cornell Romany Plus territory. There used to be a variant with built-in wobble but it was Tremolo rather than Vibrato.
    It is on the Vibro Champ too :).

Blame Leo Fender, he wasn't a musician and has been accidentally responsible for a lot of confusion...

@bbill335 thanks just looked I wouldn’t pay £750 for one 
    Smart
    £750 is crazy. So what would be a credible modern alternative if originals are going for that money ? Cornell? Fender’57 Champ or something else.....or even a s/h Champion 600?
  • what do you lot think a 70s vibro champ is worth?
    It’s really a matter of what you’re comfortable with. Reverb seems to think about £400. I wouldn’t want to pay more and probably less if not original but sellers may still hold out for more....
    £450 for a mint all-original VC with the pine cab and alnico magnet speaker seems to be the sensible limit at the moment. Deduct £50 each for less than mint, or particle-board cab and ceramic speaker. (There’s an overlap, I think the ceramic speaker came first.)

The speaker is often changed because the originals - even the alnicos - are a bit crap and can fart badly, but beware of 8-ohm replacements... it *must* be 4-ohm or there’s a risk of blowing the output transformer as well. Weber do nice 4-ohm ones if you need one.

• kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    I bought my 9/10, 1977 Vibro Champ about 2 years ago for £350. That was a good price then and have gone up. £5-600 seems to be the going rate at the moment, even in USA. Yes that is silly money, yes they sound bloody fantastic. 
    For a little more you can get a 70s Twin. !! 
    I think their size lends themselves to being bought up by people who can afford a fleet of 'em. If you just want the sound/vibe of one, I'd see if someone can knock up a clone for a good price. Maybe in a 1x10 or 1x12 box... 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9674
    They’d be a great candidate for a kit, simpler than a 5E3 but with that trem. Add a decent cab and a 10” speaker and I’d build one.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 891
    I think there's one in the catalog for the guitar auctions sale in bath next week.