RIP Hal Blaine

rlwrlw Frets: 4691
edited March 2019 in Tributes
I saw this news posted by Joe Bonnmassa.  A sad loss of a somewhat prolific and brilliant drummer.
Played on a list of hits longer than both arms and those of somebody else too, and God knows hopw many number 1s.

From the Guardian

Blaine played on fewer recordings from the 1980s onward and following an acrimonious divorce, he took work as a security guard in Arizona. But in 2000 he, along with the rest of the Wrecking Crew, was inducted in the Rock’n’Roll Hall of Fame. According to the Hall of Fame, Blaine “has certainly played on more hit records than any drummer in the rock era, including 40 No 1 singles and 150 that made the Top 10”.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickersticker Frets: 869
    THE session drummer of the 60’s an 70’s , a portfolio that looks like the greatest hits of all time and creator of some of the most iconic drum beats/fills on record.

RIP 
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited March 2019
    They were a talented bunch in the Wrecking Crew, what a legacy!

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11285
    Only 40 no 1's? I'd have thought it would have been more.

Superb drummer.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3581
    It wasn't just hit singles that the wrecking crew played on. Many TV and movie theme tunes as well as albums for the likes of Sinatra, 5th Dimension, Petula Clark etc.

One of the things Hal did was keep a note of who and what he recorded on. Often the session would be a couple of hours one afternoon and the 'star' might not even be present while the track was laid down, and of course it was just a piece of unmixed music rather than the hit we now recognise. Consequently many of the wrecking crew would defer to Hal to discover they were on such and such a hit record. I do hope those meticulous records survived his 80s divorce and get published or at least made available to researchers.

RIP to a great musician.

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    I'd recommend everyone listen to Hal being interviewed on the I'd Hit That podcast. Amazing stories.