NGD: Unusual old Japanese content

What's Hot
ive been looking for one of these for a couple of years now and finally one came up for sale last week. An El Maya EM 1300 probably from around 1979 - 1980 kinda period.  It’s been modded/butchered by a previous owner and I’m intending to try and reverse some of the more, err, creative mods.  The build quality on this thing is insane, easily a match for my Gibson R8.  It plays really well, sustains for ages and sounds rather good.  So I’m a pretty happy bunny this evening.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Some more piccies

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• 0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    Lovin' that binding!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 659
    Looks ace. Never heard of this guitar before.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • longjaw said:
    Lovin' that binding!
    Pretty isn’t it?  And in damn good nick considering it’s knocking on 40 years old.
  • It came with a (non original) pick guard, which I whipped off straight away.  The bridge isn’t original, the 3 way switch does nowt, and it has a SD Invader in the bridge (which is actually rather fun). Oh, and a big ‘ole in the middle of the knobs with a rubber plug in it! It needs some tic for sure.

• Maya stuff seems really cool. Passed on a lovely looking 335 copy for peanuts which I regret.

Love these late 70s string-thrus. Big fan of the natural look. Enjoy!
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited March 2019
    Pleasantly surprised - was expecting to see Yoko Ono...

Having abandoned my birth year guitar idea a while back because ‘78 is either a really shit or really expensive year I might reconsider and look at the Japanese options from that era.

Previously known as stevebrum
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2278
    They are high quality instruments those Japanese guitars from late 70's / early 80's. The Matsumoku name gets banded about too much about them, but there were others too.
    I think yours is Chushin made. Is that right?
    I have a couple of Chushin instruments, and they are better than the Mats ones I have, in my opinion.
  • Adey said:
    They are high quality instruments those Japanese guitars from late 70's / early 80's. The Matsumoku name gets banded about too much about them, but there were others too.
    I think yours is Chushin made. Is that right?
    I have a couple of Chushin instruments, and they are better than the Mats ones I have, in my opinion.
    I’m not sure exactly where it was made. Info on the web seems fairly sparse; some mention Cushin Gakki, others that it came from a factory in Kobe which was destroyed in the big earthquake there.  So I don’t really know for sure.
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2278
    I think that they are likely the same place, Chushin is in Kobe I think.
    I've got a Bambu from same period. TRC says made by Maya Musical Instrument Company in Kobe, and Bridge has CHUSHIN cast into it.

Have fun giving it some TLC!
  • Adey said:
    I think that they are likely the same place, Chushin is in Kobe I think.
    I've got a Bambu from same period. TRC says made by Maya Musical Instrument Company in Kobe, and Bridge has CHUSHIN cast into it.

Have fun giving it some TLC!
    Oh ok, that might be it then. Trying to find accurate info can be a bit hit and miss.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12394
    Bringing it to water rats?
  • munckee said:
    Bringing it to water rats?
    Quite possibly  :)
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Oh I remember seeing those hanging on walls when I first started playing. Loved the design and have looked for one (half-heartedly) over the years. Very nice.

Well done @Flanging_Fred!

• dogload said:
    Oh I remember seeing those hanging on walls when I first started playing. Loved the design and have looked for one (half-heartedly) over the years. Very nice.

Well done @Flanging_Fred!

They’re pretty scarce as far as I can work out. I’ve been looking for one for over a couple of years.  I made a post about them when I first saw one and fell head over heels.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/85221/el-maya-guitars#latest
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031

Lovely

Lovely

Lovely

Lovely

Things. :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• Lovely

Lovely

Lovely

Lovely

Things. :)

I had a feeling you may approve! Don’t know where I could find an original bridge for one of these do you?  The replacement on there actually feels quite nice, but if I can find an original, I’d be tempted to put it back.
  • One of these jobbies...

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6083
    What a fabulous guitar. Looks craftsman made. Esp like the dual strap buttons at butt end for safe propping up against the wall.