Any experience with Millman Guitars? Off to see one tomorrow...

What's Hot
brucegillbrucegill Frets: 710
edited March 2019 in Acoustics
anyone have any experience with Millman Guitars. There’s a lovely one for sale near me. Walnut back and sides (will be new to me, not sure what to expect tonally), Adirondack spruce top. Slope shoulder 14 fret dread. Looks stunning and have been keeping an eye out for something from Millman secondhand. His work looks stunning and like his ethos as a builder. 

Any info would be appreciated. 

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    twas mine and i reckon its very nice indeed, lovely bass, 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    I know a couple of people who have had set ups on acoustics from him, they all say he's good

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• brucegillbrucegill Frets: 710
    mgaw said:
    twas mine and i reckon its very nice indeed, lovely bass, 
    No way! All I can find on them on here is from you lol. Thanks for answering the post!

What sort of voicing does it have? Martin-esq? Gibson-esq or something of its own completely? Looks quiet shallow now I’ve looked again compared to say a Martin Dred or J45 etc. Any idea of scale length? 

I was looking at another Atkin (D37) but don’t really need the volume. Was mainly after a bluegrass sort of vibe. But that thing looks stunning and no doubt will shop with my eyes lol. I have an Atkin LG47 so wanted a more Martin type tone. 

Sorry, loads of questions and you don’t normally get to ask the previous owner when buying from a shop! 
    go and try it for yourself is the best way mate.....I liked it a lot, but ymmv as they say...
    I reckoned it was more Gibson than Martin but I know SFA really
    Lol. Fair enough. 
    mgaw said:
    I reckoned it was more Gibson than Martin but I know SFA really
    Thanks. Will go check it out tomorrow hopefully
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 227
    I saw that one also looks very nice.  If it sounds as good as it looks buy it :)
    Th4fonz said:
    I saw that one also looks very nice.  If it sounds as good as it looks buy it :)
    Haha. I’m trying not to buy with my eyes lol.

I have an atkin LG47 so not sure it’s going to do what I’m after if it’s in a Gibson style, but damn, it looks tasty.

Really after a Martin sound for more bluegrass sort of stuff, but maybe I’ll just find a dread of any form is more what I’m after than the LG. the LG does the bluesy stuff well though and I’m loving the thing at the moment. 
    the Millman does Bluegrass really well, big bass and a very nice one at that but it cuts brilliantly, Walnut isn't so far away from Mahogany as a tonewood maybe more to it but it really is mainly down to the builder IMO......I would buy it again if that helps
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @mgaw! That’s great to hear. Will report back later 
    Well, it was lovely. But someone else got there before me and could see they were going to take it home. I did get a go and very impressive build etc. Neck was a bit funny for me. Then I tried a bunch of Atkin dreads and OM’s..... need to get saving as the OM37 was astounding.