Odd/unusual support acts you have seen

What's Hot

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    edited March 2019
    The Baseballs supporting Jeff Beck. They were like a dumb wedding/party band with vaguely homophobic stage banter (even their attitudes were from the 50s!). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    The final Acid Reign gig at the marquee in the early 90s.

The support was Les from Vic Reeve's Big Night Out. 

People were stage diving to a confused bald man in a lab coat holding a plank of wood with a birds nest nailed to it. 
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    I remember a proper hairspray glam band in white leather, supporting Candlemass at The Marquee.

They were getting some proper abuse and the singer was becoming increasingly more agitated.... before announcing that he’d ‘take on anyone in the toilet after the gig’.   Oh dear. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    TalkTalk as support to a Genesis reunion @ Milton Keynes Bowl. They came onstage, said "Now you'll hear some real music", in a very sneery manner (they followed John Martin, preceded Genesis) - needless to say the soggy, wet crowd (as it pissed down all day) weren't that enamoured, they didn't make it through one number before being bottled off.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    prowla said:
    Otway & Barrett

(Oh, they were the main act!)
    Beat me to it.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    I saw a band called Do Me Bad Things supporting the Datsuns back in the mid 00s, which if I recall correctly resembled three kind of bags you'd form from a doctor's waiting room, fronted by a Hitler/Charlie Chaplin lookalike.

In fact, a quick Google search has found me loads of videos, including this

Google describes them as a  nine-piece blues/rock/soul/metal band 

They were ace! But mad as a box of frogs

A friend of mine went to see them and told me they were amazing, so I bought their album.

It must have worked better live than on record.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Some crap hair metal band I have no idea of the name of supporting Status Quo on the first Frantic Four reunion tour. Just why? Surely they could have found an aging 70s pub-rock band or something more appropriate...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    prowla said:
    Chas 'n' Dave supporting Led Zeppelin
    When Led Zep played Wembley in 1971 they had circus acts in between support bands, including performing pigs.

I think the oddest one though was the Pink Fairies supporting The Faces. ISTR they were a last minute shoe-in, presumably because the scheduled band had dropped out. Now I happened to like the Fairies and had a couple of their albums so I was well happy, but they didn’t go down too well with the average Rod Stewart fans. 
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 170
    Kemani Marley, support to Van Halen, NJ, 2007,
    reggae not a great compliment to the mighty VH!
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    RobDavies said:
    I remember a proper hairspray glam band in white leather, supporting Candlemass at The Marquee.

They were getting some proper abuse and the singer was becoming increasingly more agitated.... before announcing that he’d ‘take on anyone in the toilet after the gig’.   Oh dear. 
    Very promiscuous.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292
    RobDavies said:.... before announcing that he’d ‘take on anyone in the toilet after the gig’.  
    Anythng you can shit I can shit better?
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4914
    "Champion" Jack Dupree (blues singer/pianist) supporting Caravan (English prog band) at a gig in a disused church in Norwich in, as I recall, 1969.

Jack sang and played the piano, and drank most of a bottle of bourbon.  Near the end of the bottle he gave up with the piano and just sang.

All the while, the light-show was projecting pink bubbles against the organ pipes, so it looked like the bubbles were coming out of the holes at the base of the pipes.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I saw a band called Do Me Bad Things supporting the Datsuns back in the mid 00s, which if I recall correctly resembled three kind of bags you'd form from a doctor's waiting room, fronted by a Hitler/Charlie Chaplin lookalike.

In fact, a quick Google search has found me loads of videos, including this

Google describes them as a  nine-piece blues/rock/soul/metal band 

They were ace! But mad as a box of frogs
    sound like fun! Like the vocal arrangements
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself

This guy suppprted Andrew O'Neill at the Underworld last December. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Chicks on Speed supporting RHCP at Hyde Park.  Dear Lord...
    Probably the worst act I’ve ever had the misfortune to see.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2631
    Saw Ivor Cutler as a support a couple of times - to The Divine Comedy on one occasion and to Elvis Costello on the other. At the first, he commented to and about latecomers all the way from the door to their seat (like the primary school teacher he once was), and at the second he asked the audience to applaud quietly (as he didn't like loud noises). This was very hard for the sold-out Royal Festival Hall audience. Saw a very odd band supporting The Chap last year, but I can't remember what they were called, and The Chap are pretty odd themselves. Saw Blurt supporting King Crimson in 1981. That was odd. Blurt, not Blur. 
    HAL9000 said:
    Chicks on speed or RHCP?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Reverend said:
    HAL9000 said:
    Chicks on speed or RHCP?
    Having once owned the RHCP Live In Hyde Park album, quite possibly both.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292
    Back in the early 80s I saw The Fall at the Marquee. The support band were what seemed like a bar band fronted by someone so camp he made Julian Clary look like Schwazenegger. I'm sue I saw him in a Mike Leigh play on telly a short while later.

I think he referred to the band as Alan & The Choirboys, but the intervening years and the night's beer may prove that to be unreliable.

• cpcompanycpcompany Frets: 126
    Seen a pretty surreal comedian supporting Alabama 3 in the Astoria many moons ago. Can’t remember too much except he got a pretty poor reception. 

Mindfunk supporting Slayer at Newcastle city hall when I was a bairn . They were absolutely rubbish and I think everyone sat down and ignored their set bar about 3 people.