Scott Walker

What's Hot
FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12363
    Oh bugger.  :'(
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    RIP....

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    His back catalogue could be hard work at times but certainly one of the greatest male voices in the history of pop music. RIP. 

https://youtu.be/c9gzVpjs9vk
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    edited March 2019
    I was a big fan of The Walker Brothers as a kid and also came to like really like some of his more accessible solo stuff later on.  There's at least a handful of brilliant solo tracks, my personal favourite being Montague Terrace in Blue.   (To me it seems so obviously his best song that I expect other people to agree, but I see it's only his 8th most popular on Spotify).

There is a long, very good documentary called 30th Century Man that's bound to be shown again and I would recommend it to anyone who's at all interested in Walker and hasn't seen it.  It does focus on the later, more experimental work and some heavyweights like Brian Eno turn up to argue how great it is.  I can't say I was convinced but found it fascinating all the same.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Damn. I love Scott Walker. Genius.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22794
    I'm only really familiar with the Walker Brothers hits I've heard on the radio my whole life - and I've never liked them (sorry!) - but reading about his later solo career in the last 24 hours I've become quite fascinated.  I shall definitely investigate further, although whether I'll enjoy it or not is anyone's guess.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7860
    He had an amazing voice. Big respect! RIP
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Philly_Q said:
    I'm only really familiar with the Walker Brothers hits I've heard on the radio my whole life - and I've never liked them (sorry!) - but reading about his later solo career in the last 24 hours I've become quite fascinated.  I shall definitely investigate further, although whether I'll enjoy it or not is anyone's guess.
    Yeah, can't say the Walker Brothers stuff interests me much, I'm into his later solo stuff though. 'The Electrician' (one of the videos I posted above) was the start of the shift away from his earlier style. Bowie was a bit of a fan and I think you can hear a bit of 'The Electrician' sound on Bowie's Lodger album. Bish Bosch (the other video I posted above is the closing track) and Tilt are great albums. He also did an album a few year ago with Sunn O))) which is worth checking out.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22794
    Octafish said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Yeah, can't say the Walker Brothers stuff interests me much, I'm into his later solo stuff though. 'The Electrician' (one of the videos I posted above) was the start of the shift away from his earlier style. Bowie was a bit of a fan and I think you can hear a bit of 'The Electrician' sound on Bowie's Lodger album. Bish Bosch (the other video I posted above is the closing track) and Tilt are great albums. He also did an album a few year ago with Sunn O))) which is worth checking out.
    I listened to Tilt last night.  Not what I expected, although I have absolutely no idea what I did expect.

It's genuinely strange and at times almost a bit disturbing, but certainly fascinating.  The emphasis is very much on his voice, and he sings in such an odd way, but you can always hear the words very clearly.  The vocal parts are melodic but the accompaniment - some of it more "sound effects" than music - is very unusual.  There was one piece with a full orchestra which reminded me very much of Cantus in Memoriam Benjamin Britten by Arvo Part, which we played a few weeks ago at my Dad's funeral (it probably didn't really sound like it, but it triggered that thought in my mind, at least).

I'm rambling on too much.  Scott Walker isn't going to become my daily listening, but I am certainly intrigued to hear more.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I love his first four self titled solo albums. Baroque pop at its best.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4914
    Wow, I was in the local tonight and the guy played a video of "No Regrets", by the Walker Brothers - what a fantastic song that is!

RIP Scott.