What's this called?

What's Hot
roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
I guess it's a modal technique, but I'm a bit weak on applying this stuff.

Where a riff is repeating over and over but the bass is moving around, probably in a given scale, so as to create a modal tension.

Radiohead's Street Spirit is a reasonable example of it.

The opposite is where the bass or guitar riff always "pedals" off the same note, but the riff moves around and progresses.

Is there a common term for it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    edited March 2019
    The latter is an ostinato (or ground) bass.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    a repeating phrase or motif usually in the same instrument / voice is an ostinato
    play every note as if it were your first
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    @Clarky @Funkfingers ;
    Thanks both. Ostinato seems to cover the repeating part, which is great. I wondered if there was a specific term for using a complimentary melody or bass line which varies (perhaps to shift the modal feel).

This video shows how it can be really musical, but just refers to it as Ostinato. I think that's only half of the story.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlaaJXtUvh8

I think Sweet Child O' Mine is a great example of this. The Ostinato piece is complimented with a changing 'pedal' note: D, E, G
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Intro to Where The Streets Have No Name another one - Edge plays the same pattern and Adam Clayton's bass plays a simple progression, ending in the upper register to drive a resolution (and a time change from 6:8 to 4:4)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10690
    edited March 2019
    Yes it’s still an ostanato. Ostinato (meaning obstinate) just means a note (or notes) doesn’t change. This applies whether it’s the bass pedal that remains constant, or like in your question, when it’s the upper voices that don’t change. 

When it’s the bass note that doesn’t change, you can be more specific by calling it basso ostinato. A great example is the beginning of Rachmaninov’s ‘Don’t Sing for Me Beautiful Maiden’ which repeats the bass note through a descending middle voice of two whole octaves. 

https://youtu.be/9cJOyPUftz4

So for these examples where it’s the upper voice that doesn’t change, you could call it soprano ostinato or treble ostinato. An example of treble ostinato from classical music is the beginning of Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata.  

https://youtu.be/j50ar2walNs
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7775

The solo in Marillion's Three Boats Down From The Candy is another where the first note changes but the remaining pattern remains the same, something I like a lot and one of only two Steve Rothery parts I can play :)

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    @Clarky @Funkfingers ;
    Thanks both. Ostinato seems to cover the repeating part, which is great. I wondered if there was a specific term for using a complimentary melody or bass line which varies (perhaps to shift the modal feel).

This video shows how it can be really musical, but just refers to it as Ostinato. I think that's only half of the story.

I think Sweet Child O' Mine is a great example of this. The Ostinato piece is complimented with a changing 'pedal' note: D, E, G
    an ostinato is a repeating motif..
    if you change one or more notes you have 'developed the motif' [or gone and done what my lecturer referred to as 'motific development']..
    if this newly developed motif repeats itself, it's an ostinato.. it's just a new one that s using the new developed motif
    Clarky said:
    @Clarky @Funkfingers ;

an ostinato is a repeating motif..
    if you change one or more notes you have 'developed the motif' [or gone and done what my lecturer referred to as 'motific development']..
    if this newly developed motif repeats itself, it's an ostinato.. it's just a new one that s using the new developed motif
    Lamb of God: Walk With Me In Hell
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    Are we talking the same thing as the song "Can U Dig It" by Mock Turtles,where the Guitar Solo repeats the same line, but sounds like it's changing because the Bass Line is changing underneath the solo? If that makes sense.

For reference: Solo at 2:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGSHIidlesQ

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Here’s an example that popped into my head.

https://youtu.be/CBJey2dkiAI

Great stuff, thank you all - @Clarky @Jalapeno @viz ;
    It's amazing how the technique is used in so many different styles of music to great effect.

@Bellycaster - yes, nice example

@Paul_C, @Maynehead - good examples
    Great stuff, thank you all - @Clarky @Jalapeno @viz ;
    It's amazing how the technique is used in so many different styles of music to great effect.

@Bellycaster - yes, nice example

@Paul_C, @Maynehead - good examples
    no probs matey...
    this sort of thing goes back before JS Bach, so it's hundreds of years old
    and it's so cool sounding it's still in use today..
    I've done myself in many songs and compositions long before I even knew what it was called..
    I just knew it could make a simple little phrase sound really nice as everything else moves around it..

it works with longer phrases too..
    this is beautiful..
    just a 2 note ostinato from the piano.. and then the longer one from the lead guitar..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST2H8FWDvEA
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Wowser, multiple Ostinato at one time. Powerful piece of music indeed @Clarky ;
    Wowser, multiple Ostinato at one time. Powerful piece of music indeed @Clarky ;
    I love that piece.. I wish I'd written that
    and then there is dance music and funk... 
    ostinato city... lol..