Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    strtdv said:

On one hand they are older battery tech (NiMH vs Li-ion), but actually NiMH batteries are much cheaper to replace (I'd still budget £1k plus fitting).
    I think also less prone to spontaneous combustion, which is always a plus.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    Although apparently does produce explosive hydrogen
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24287
    edited May 2019
    OK..... so......  You're my mates right ?

We've known each other for ages, and I'm generally reasonably tolerated here.....

Don't get angry when I say this next bit.......

I'm still getting a Honda CRZ - almost certainly.  Probably even....

....just neither of these two.

Don't shout !!  It's only a small change in timing that's all !!

The thing is....  I'm getting really stressed out abou....  yes, yes, of course I know you are too.  I'm sorry.  

As I was saying, I'm.... we're... getting very stressed about this what with going on holiday on Monday and me starting the new job on the 13th, and trying to sort all that out and get the cases packed and also trying to squeeze in a monster train journey to Timbuctu to buy a particular car.   I'm thinki.....  What?   OK, yes, it's a "mid-life crisis car" if you want to be petty about it....   Let me finish!!!  Anyway.... what I was thinking might be a better option given the current circumstances if I just nip up the road to a local place and get a cheap runaround as a stop-gap and.....  AAAAAND....   I can then keep an eye out for a more suitable CRZ that doesn't have bits I don't want and does have the bits I do and isn't in Azerbaijan.  Yes.....  of course...  Yes... I know that's what you said in the begin...  YES.  FFS.  Don't go on!

I'll get something like a Honda Civ......  YES.... I FUCKING KNOW!!!!!  BUT IT'S TEMPORARY !!!!
    OK, fuck it... I'm not getting a Civic.  I'll get something Japanese with lowish mileage that I won't have trouble selling on when the right CRZ comes along.

...I WILL!!!

Why do you always bring that up ????  It's nothing like the lamina......

Oh fuck off then.....  AND DON'T SLAM THE DOOR AGAIN, IT FRIGHTENS THE DOG!

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    strtdv said:
    Although apparently does produce explosive hydrogen
    Are you sure that's not the buyer?

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27452
    Emp_Fab said:
    what with going on holiday on Monday
    Have you booked the holiday already, or are you just going to do some lastminute.com spontaneous thing?

Something like this is right in your budget
    ;)

Lots more choice, better built, more fun to drive (without being annoyingly noisy) and reasonably cheap to run.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
    edited May 2019
    Emp_Fab said:
    OK..... so......  You're my mates right ?

We've known each other for ages, and I'm generally reasonably tolerated here.....

Don't get angry when I say this next bit.......

I'm still getting a Honda CRZ - almost certainly.  Probably even....

....just neither of these two.

Don't shout !!  It's only a small change in timing that's all !!

The thing is....  I'm getting really stressed out abou....  yes, yes, of course I know you are too.  I'm sorry.  

As I was saying, I'm.... we're... getting very stressed about this what with going on holiday on Monday and me starting the new job on the 13th, and trying to sort all that out and get the cases packed and also trying to squeeze in a monster train journey to Timbuctu to buy a particular car.   I'm thinki.....  What?   OK, yes, it's a "mid-life crisis car" if you want to be petty about it....   Let me finish!!!  Anyway.... what I was thinking might be a better option given the current circumstances if I just nip up the road to a local place and get a cheap runaround as a stop-gap and.....  AAAAAND....   I can then keep an eye out for a more suitable CRZ that doesn't have bits I don't want and does have the bits I do and isn't in Azerbaijan.  Yes.....  of course...  Yes... I know that's what you said in the begin...  YES.  FFS.  Don't go on!

I'll get something like a Honda Civ......  YES.... I FUCKING KNOW!!!!!  BUT IT'S TEMPORARY !!!!
    OK, fuck it... I'm not getting a Civic.  I'll get something Japanese with lowish mileage that I won't have trouble selling on when the right CRZ comes along.

...I WILL!!!

Why do you always bring that up ????  It's nothing like the lamina......

Oh fuck off then.....  AND DON'T SLAM THE DOOR AGAIN, IT FRIGHTENS THE DOG!

When did you turn into a woman?

….actually if you are a woman then you would have just bought one from the 1 man band garage nearest to your house…not sure what this is…

It's really simple…find a car, find the money, find the time, go by the car.

Just ring up the insurance company before hand telling them the car you want to buy so all the details are in, get the reference number and soon as you get the keys, ring them up and ask them to start the insurance that minute and then drive home.

You can buy the car tax on the phone that second.  

Don't stress about it.

Buy the car when you come back, it will probably still be there.  If not, there will be another.
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    I'm quite glad Emp hasn't bought a car, this has been the most entertaining thread for quite some time. We can start all over again when he gets back off his hols.
    Well, I'm not buying a CRZ.  I tried one this afternoon.  Awful visibility - like driving from inside a postbox.

....and I left my bloody phone in it.  100 mile round trip tomorrow to pick the bloody thing up !!
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ding Ding round 2. 

(Hope you enjoyed your holiday , just buy the bloody c’eed - get the coupe version if you must :-)
    An hour ago, I was one signature away from buying a 60 plate Audi A3 Cabriolet.  But I bottled it at the last second.  It was dark grey (I don't want a dark car), it was a cabriolet, which I've not really been looking for and was getting swayed by the lovely weather today, when the reality is it's usually chucking it down, and I had no idea whether the price was good or not as I'd done no research on those at all (it was £6.5K).  The other thing was the top of the windscreen seemed level with my forehead, even with the seat in the lowest position.  I'm not particularly tall - only 1.76M, and I found the big thick metal bar across the top of the screen rather offputting.

Looks like I'm catching the bus to work tomorrow then....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Emp_Fab said:
    An hour ago, I was one signature away from buying a 60 plate Audi A3 Cabriolet.  But I bottled it at the last second.  It was dark grey (I don't want a dark car), it was a cabriolet, which I've not really been looking for and was getting swayed by the lovely weather today, when the reality is it's usually chucking it down, and I had no idea whether the price was good or not as I'd done no research on those at all (it was £6.5K).  The other thing was the top of the windscreen seemed level with my forehead, even with the seat in the lowest position.  I'm not particularly tall - only 1.76M, and I found the big thick metal bar across the top of the screen rather offputting.

Looks like I'm catching the bus to work tomorrow then....
    According to the Society of motor manufacturers and traders Grey was the most popular car colour in 2018, 21%.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26953
    Have you tried an Mx5 yet? 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    No.  I keep reading horror stories about the rampant rust issues.  So far, they've proved to be more than rumours as every MX-5 I've checked the MOT history on has had failures for serious rust.  If it wasn't for that, I'd get one without batting an eyelid, but I've had enough of rusty cars.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26953
    If you don't want rusty cars you shouldn't live in Wales :P ;) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
    New Electric car

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    edited May 2019
    New Electric car

That surely belongs in "Game of Thrones" thread.
  • Emp_Fab said:
    What do you lot drive then ?  You must have had to go through this yourselves ?  ...or are the rest of you not as anal as I am ? :-)
    I've got a 2011 5.0 S/C Range Rover and a 2014 428i Convertible. The 4 is a PCP/Lease deal for work/long miles/40 year old mid-life crisis and the Range Rover is a toy/load lugger. I wouldn't have a diesel for the reasons stated about emissions, whilst I think NO is almost as bad with a petrol and the new tech diesels are much better the smell and the potential issues with injectors etc scare me, as well as the lack of oil drain tubes on many diseasel engines leaving the "turbine effect" as a potential cause of death.

I do all the work on the RR myself anyhow as I'm planning on keeping it now so won't have the eye watering dealership costs and it's alsready done the lion's share of it's depreciating.
    edited May 2019
    At the moment I’m sort of torn between a lovely Alfa Spider convertible in ‘Midlife Crisis Red’ and Honda Civic or Seat Ibiza, both in ‘OCD White’.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    edited May 2019
    Late to this thread but...
    I have a 16 plate Mazda 3 2.2D SE-L Nav which I've had three years, done 30k miles in it and it hasn't missed a beat. By far the best car I've ever had. Lots of toys, beautiful clean interior design, goes like stink and only £20 road tax.

My girlfriend has a Hyundai i30, it's a diesel too but smaller engine than mine so not as quick but still lovely to drive. Slightly more kit than my Mazda as it has leather seats and a reversing camera.

I prefer my car but the i30 has a slightly higher driving position if that is a consideration. I'll certainly look at Hyundai when I come to replace mine in a few years. 
    Emp_Fab said:
    At the moment I’m sort of torn between a lovely Alfa Spider convertible in ‘Midlife Crisis Red’ and Honda Civic or Seat Ibiza, both in ‘OCD White’.
    Does the Alfa come with lifetime RAC membership?

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom