NBD Deluxe Dimension

bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
edited April 2019 in Bass
just picked this up from a forum down the road. I know these get a very mixed view, but I thought I’d take a punt.
not had chance to get to grips with it yet but loving the sunburst on it. The photos that were posted made it look more like sienna burst. 
Just wondering what would be involved to add a passive/active switch, is this an option?
anyhoo, here it is!
https://i.imgur.com/on0EshH.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/44Yi6Db.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/qX5UBJc.jpg
The Swamp City Shakers
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    I know these get a very mixed view, but I thought I’d take a punt.
    I have the American Standard version. Good instrument but not the prettiest thing Fender ever released. The neck profile is very nice. The body contouring works well when the bass is worn fairly high on a strap.

Just wondering what would be involved to add a passive/active switch, is this an option?
    Entirely possible, electronically speaking. The main issue is where to locate the switch.

Take a look under the scratchplate to see how far along the control cavity rout runs. Unless you use a push-pull volume pot, the available space is where the active/bypass switch will have to fit.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I know these get a very mixed view, but I thought I’d take a punt.
    I have the American Standard version. Good instrument but not the prettiest thing Fender ever released. The neck profile is very nice. The body contouring works well when the bass is worn fairly high on a strap.

Is the us standard the passive version?
    i’m quite liking the looks of this bass with the single pickup compared to the HH version. Agree about the neck profile although I still prefer the slightly chunkier P profile.

The Swamp City Shakers
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    The American Standard is passive, two pickups, Vol., Vol., Tone controls, no coil splitting malarkey.

As with the Musicman Sabre Bass, the Dimension bridge position pickup is the main sound. The neck position pickup is for blending à la Jazz Bass. On its own, it is a bit dull. (Certainly not a substitute for a P bass pickup.) In my opinion, you are not missing much by not having a second pickup.

My recollection of the active EQ in the Fender American Elite Precision and Jazz basses is that the chosen frequency band centres are not to my tastes. If the Dimension EQ is similar, it might be worth solving several issues at once with an upgrade. @Bridgehouse speaks highly of John East products.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.

• My recollection of the active EQ in the Fender American Elite Precision and Jazz basses is that the chosen frequency band centres are not to my tastes. If the Dimension EQ is similar, it might be worth solving several issues at once with an upgrade. @Bridgehouse speaks highly of John East products.

Early days yet, but first stop will be to try it as passive. Reading some very positive reports of the passive version. 
    The Swamp City Shakers