Fulltone OCD

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
It just occurred to me that you don't hear much about the OCD pedal anymore. Not here at least that is. Used to be such an iconic pedal if I remember correctly on on everyones wanted list ;)
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 336
    Somebody else released something else and now everybody wants something else.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    Slimbert said:
    Somebody else released something else and now everybody wants something else.
    Yep that's my thinking. We may have had what we wanted 10 years ago LOL
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    For me the OCD will always be my first understanding of a boutique pedal (I know it wasn’t the first for any pedants out there) it just seemed to coincide with me discovering pedals and was always the embodiment of that for me. 

I remember watching endless gearmandude comparison videos. I’ve still never owned one!
    How very rock and roll
    For me the OCD will always be my first understanding of a boutique pedal (I know it wasn’t the first for any pedants out there) it just seemed to coincide with me discovering pedals and was always the embodiment of that for me. 

I remember watching endless gearmandude comparison videos. I’ve still never owned one!
    Why is that then. Too much choice nowadays do you reckon ?
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    Yeah I guess so? Weirdly I never bought one at the time as I considered them too expensive for my needs. I was gigging at the time and stuck to Boss stuff for value and reliability. 

Since then I’ve spent way more on pedals and never batted an eyelid at the price. Maybe I’m desensitised!
    How very rock and roll
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    edited April 2019
    An OCD V.1.4 and a Keeley Compressor for that matter,  are the longest serving pedals on my board.

OCDs pop up quite a bit on Rig Rundown boards and whilst there's a decent amount of gain on tap, it's also very good and useable in the lower gain ranges and if used at a higher voltage. It also stacks well with a boost or TS type pedal.

I'm not sure the later or latest version proved as popular, maybe due to it being changed slightly or as has been said, more choice available.

The jacks, or the way they're mounted, are poor and have needed sorting out a couple of times on mine, but I love it.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9609
    I remember being quite obsessed by it but was too skint to buy one (even used ones were going for about £10 less than the new price, due to the hype). So I made one from a kit. It's a pretty good pedal but I haven't used it for a while. Much better than a TS-type (for me anyway).
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    I bought a 1.7 version new after reading the hype about them. My opinion then and now is "meh".
    Philtre said:
    I bought a 1.7 version new after reading the hype about them. My opinion then and now is "meh".
    What do you use now?
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    edited April 2019
    Philtre said:
    What do you use now?
    Lots of things depending.

TS
    AMP 11 clone
    Timmy clone
    Jan Ray clone
    KoT clone
    Rat clone
    Tone City Sweet Cream
    Soul Food
    Archer klon
    SD-1
    Mojomojo
    Too many other clones I built to mention...

I'm not dissing the OCD, and I use it now and then, just that for me it's nothing special.

Sometimes these od /distortion pedals can get to sound the same to me but I guess it’s all down to your rig and also how you interact with them as a player etc 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a clone (Mooer Hustle Drive) and I ****ing love it. I don't always know what state the amp i'll be playing through is gonna be in when jamming and the pedal is a real clutch for me. 
    I always wonder if its worth upgrading from Mooer to genuine OCD?
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3069
    I've got a clone too (ThorpyFX) and have just started using it again funnily enough. My co guitarist played the whole of our last practice with his original (don't know which version) and it inspired me to use mine... the knobs have a very slightly different range but they sound the same. I still like it. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• pmgpmg Frets: 298
    Had an OCD on my board for a long, long time.  Much better at 18v if you do try one
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4773
    I ran an OCD for several years and loved it. For my needs today, I have to say the Line 6 model in the HX FX is very decent and I use that now. 
  • I’ve never been fussed with OCD pedals. They do a decent enough job but I didn’t think it had a ‘character’ that other drives had such as a rat or TS. Thought it was bland but hey horses for courses etc 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7334

yeah me too - so I plumbed for the Dano Cool Cat Drive!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Like many here the OCD was my entry point into 'boutique' pedals. It was my always on pedal for about a decade (low gain high volume in LP mode). I'll never get rid of it but it was displaced on my board a couple of years back by the Timmy, which I use for a similar purpose. I don't usually form any sentimental attachment to pedals but the OCD and EHX DMM are pedals that I will never be without, even if they're not on the board.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    I think they've almost been cloned into oblivion along with the Guvnor/Crunchbox and the Klon.

It's pretty much standard now that any self respecting generic pedal brand will have an OCD clone and it's not just Joyo, Mooer, Donner, but even EHX and MXR.

I really like them when other people use them, but I've had one on two occasions and find I can't get on with them.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    monquixote said:

It's pretty much standard now that any self respecting generic pedal brand will have an OCD clone and it's not just Joyo, Mooer, Donner, but even EHX and MXR.

I guess those would be the Glove and Il Diavolo?

I've never tried the original. I briefly owned the Mooer Hustle, but found it too aggressive for my needs.