Resonator Question

What's Hot
Howdee folks. About 10 years ago, I had a Tanglewood TBS 1000 roundneck resonator. Like a fool I sold it, so will revisit. It was all steel (or whatever the body was made out of) and was 14 fret, and had a regular acoustic guitar style neck, which I liked.

A few years back, I got a Republic Resolian Parlor 12 fret, which I just couldn't get used to. The neck was way too thick for me.

I think this time around I would get a wooden body resonator as I think they sound a bit warmer.

They seem to be available cheap enough and wide ranging. I'd consider installing a pickup, but not sure if there could be complications here? I'd stick one by the neck.

I'm not sure of the technical term for the two smaller holes on the shoulders of the body? Would a reso with these prevent me from installing certain types of pickups?

I think I'd steer clear of the parlor bodies, because of the thick necks.

Any mid range recommendations on 12 or 14 fret roundneck wooden bodies?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KoaKoa Frets: 120
    I agree with you wooden bodies do sound warmer than metal bodied ones. They also feel warmer to hold, something to bear in mind if you’re in the U.K. . A proper USA made wooden Dobro can be bought for reasonable  money. Nice necks on them too if you go round not square 
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    Koa said:
    I agree with you wooden bodies do sound warmer than metal bodied ones. They also feel warmer to hold, something to bear in mind if you’re in the U.K. . A proper USA made wooden Dobro can be bought for reasonable  money. Nice necks on them too if you go round not square 
    Am between Ireland and Spain, but would have no problem buying online as long as I get my specs right!
  • KristoKristo Frets: 123

I'd go for a Michael Messer Blues '28 with MM Sixtus pickup fitted. It'll be set up exactly how you want it and sound awesome!

https://www.michaelmesser.co.uk/michael-messer-blues-28

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    Good recommendation from @Kristo. The Michael Messer resos are good value particularly if you consider that there is not much change from £4k for a Beard square-neck reso  :o

For pickups your basic choice is the hidden type like k&k and Fishman that give a fairly natural acoustic sound or a surface mounted magnetic pickup that sounds more 'electric'.

Resos that follow the National style favoured by blues players tend to have f-holes like the Michael Messer model rather than the small screened soundholes of Dobro-style.
    edited April 2019
    Good to know. I like the surface mounted pickups, as I'd dirty it up a bit.
    Funnily enough, I'd probably be playing very little blues or slide on one....

I spied an Epi hound dog roundneck used for sale near me for not much money.....
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    Good to know. I like the surface mounted pickups, as I'd dirty it up a bit.
    Funnily enough, I'd probably be playing very little blues or slide on one....

I spied an Epi hound dog roundneck used for sale near me for not much money.....
    I've got an Epi Hound Dog Deluxe and I really like it. It's a nice guitar, with a different sort of tone and projection to a flat top, for fingerpicking in standard tuning. It's 12 fret, though. I don't think they come with 14 frets. The Deluxe comes with a pickup fitted (inside, to the bridge I'd guess - never looked) and it is totally horrible. It wasn't a consideration when I bought the guitar and I don't use it. 

Because the volume comes from the cone, not the vibrating top,  you'll probably be fine drilling into it to fit a magnetic pickup. But I'll warn you that this is my fist resonator, so my advice could be suspect... 
    @TheBigDipper I wonder if one could be mounted just by the neck on the deluxe?
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I'm not affiliated  in any way to this forum but I have found it to be very informative and willing to respond with good advice,    https://www.resohangout.com/

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Be hard pushed to beat a MM blues 28 for the money. Infact quite a bit more money. They are set up by Dave King before you get one. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Andy79 said:
    Be hard pushed to beat a MM blues 28 for the money. Infact quite a bit more money. They are set up by Dave King before you get one. 
    Might keep the eyes peeled for a used one, if they do pop up used that is!
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    edited April 2019
    Kristo said:

I'd go for a Michael Messer Blues '28 with MM Sixtus pickup fitted. It'll be set up exactly how you want it and sound awesome!

Wisdom!

Many of the cheaper "brand name" Fenders, Epis, etc etc are not built correctly, so may sound a a bit clanky and Reso ish, but are not the authentic real deal...Mostly..its been a while since I got my Messer, Metal bodied 12 fretter...
    Messer are superb, authentic, good quality control and setup and reasonably priced also holding their value....

join the Messer forum and read about the copies.....

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    paulnb57 said:
    Kristo said:

Wisdom!

Many of the cheaper "brand name" Fenders, Epis, etc etc are not built correctly, so may sound a a bit clanky and Reso ish, but are not the authentic real deal...Mostly..its been a while since I got my Messer, Metal bodied 12 fretter...
    Messer are superb, authentic, good quality control and setup and reasonably priced also holding their value....

join the Messer forum and read about the copies.....

Agreed. Join the forum. It will be the best place to find a used one. There’s a ton of knowledge above my pay grade on there
    I will do!
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    @TheBigDipper I wonder if one could be mounted just by the neck on the deluxe?
    I'm not sure it would be that successful, TBH. There's not much room between the bottom of the neck and the three little holes that don't have grills covering them. I just measured the gap - it's only 15mm. You might like the pickup that I do not like - it's all a matter of personal taste, after all. It's a passive Fishman of some sort. It might sound nicer going into a preamp and applying some EQ, but I've never bothered because I don't need to amplify it.

I loved the Beard "Copper Mountain" range that Oasis Music (Ringwood, Hampshire) are the distributors for. Lovely to play and a beautiful sound. But, at £2,100 or so, that's 5 times what I paid for the Hound Dog. Maybe next year!....  
    Looking at aftermarket pickups for a
    roundneck wooden dobro. e.g. the lace sensor slim humbucker and the black single coil one. 
    Any thoughts or advice ? They just stick on with tape?
  • danowensdanowens Frets: 27
    For pickups, Krivo and Messr are great. K&K are favoured, but I'd be looking at one of those Messrs (https://www.michaelmesser.co.uk/mm-pickups)
  • danowensdanowens Frets: 27
    I should say, I play with a great slide player and he refuses to use a pickup as it isn't the National sound. The sound comes from the cone, otherwise just play a tele ;) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    danowens said:
    For pickups, Krivo and Messr are great. K&K are favoured, but I'd be looking at one of those Messrs (https://www.michaelmesser.co.uk/mm-pickups)
    That humbucker looks cool. I spied a round neck dobro houndog for sale for cheap near me, so thought of planting one of these on it, and sticking some pedals in the chain to see what comes out!
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 710
    Kristo said:

What’s the action like in these? Never had a resonator. Is it adjustable easily? Can’t see how it’s set up in the photos. 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    I would 2nd the post about not using pickups on Resonators, you totally lose the sound, either use a mic or play electric is where I ended up