What would you put on an "intro to FX pedals" board for your kid?

What's Hot

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    boogieman said:
    I’d just get a cheap multifx, then he can suss out what all the different fx sound like and which ones he likes. 
    Yes. Something like the GT6 which someone put up for sale only today. It will have all the fundamental FX types, plus the ability to learn about FX by changing their settings. 

If the question was “what effects does a beginner need?” then (in order of usefulness) Tuner, Overdrive, Looper (as a learning aid), followed by Reverb, Wah, Chorus, Delay. At this point separate pedals will have cost more than a new MultiFX, let alone a secondhand one, which is a lesson in itself; and I refer you back to the earlier answer. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3964
    TimmyO said:
    prlgmnr said:
    What amp is it going in to?
    a Katana 50 - which has fx in it but would just set it clean for this setup 
    In that case I'd go for a decent Marshall in a Box type thing, I'm sure there's one for every budget imaginable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    A zoom 505 because I am mean
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    Roland said:
    boogieman said:
    I’d just get a cheap multifx, then he can suss out what all the different fx sound like and which ones he likes. 
    Yes. Something like the GT6 which someone put up for sale only today. It will have all the fundamental FX types, plus the ability to learn about FX by changing their settings. 

If the question was “what effects does a beginner need?” then (in order of usefulness) Tuner, Overdrive, Looper (as a learning aid), followed by Reverb, Wah, Chorus, Delay. At this point separate pedals will have cost more than a new MultiFX, let alone a secondhand one, which is a lesson in itself; and I refer you back to the earlier answer. 
    I nearly added to my OP "please don't say get a multi fx" but thought it superfluous - I guess not :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My first pedals were a BOSS DS-1, Phase 90, Cry Baby and BOSS CH-1, all these will be passed onto my little lad when he's old enough.You can't go wrong with these. I added a RAT at a later date and also an Aqua Puss delay. Had a Big Muff as well, but they are large pedals, different jack size on the back.
    We are a UK based, family run company retailing guitar effects pedals and accessories online. 
    https://www.breakthemachine.co.uk  connect@breakthemachine.co.uk
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    The four pedals which I own are Boss TS-2 tuner, a crybaby, a Keeley modded TS-9, and an LS-2 line splitter. I keep them for reference. There’s no way they’re being passed on. My son can have my GT-8if he wants, or even my old AxeFX Ultra. There’s no way he’s having my pedals.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Haha :-) 

Yeah it’s that kind of “reference” approach I’m wanting to impart - kind of “here are the honest to goodness basics - you can cover vast ground by how you use them together” kind of thing. 

Multifx is easy - as is the tech approach - they had them bussing reverb in Logic at school by 11yo - but a handful of boxes of joy... 
    Red ones are better. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23906
    MXR Envelope filter, Future Impact, Compressor, and a good thick fuzz with a clean blend.
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3753
    edited April 2019
    Lots of good suggestions here, hard to argue with the majority of them.

One more suggestion that seems to have been missed is Boss GE-7 (or other equivalent EQ pedal). Very versatile pedal once you know how to use it, and will also help teach a beginner about how important understanding EQ'ing is for getting the sound you really want. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 5redlights5redlights Frets: 317
    Rat for dirt. It'll cover everything from overdrive to fuzz of played around with. Plus it's a classic. 

The mooer and little bear copies are also good cheap options if working to a budget. 
  • timhulio said:
    MXR Distortion +. Only pedal anyone could ever need. Give them a multifx and they'll spend forever playing with presets making whale noises rather than playing guitar. Plus the family will likely have to listen to it!
    Well why not make whale noises?  Not everyone needs to be blues rock sensation.  The landscape of music does need changing every now and then.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    TimmyO said:
    Overdrive, fuzz, delay, verb. Covers a tonne of ground and all can be bought fairly inexpensively 
    what are Boss fuzzes like? I've never really bonded with fuzz so not really aware of  the options.

oh shit - actually I have a Muffroom cloud in a cupboard somewhere lol 
    Is your cupboard for sale, contents included?  ;-)
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    What kind of music is he into??

I see a lot of light to mid type overdrives being suggested. 

If hes into Mastodon might not be the best option. 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CleckoClecko Frets: 295
    Someone got there first, but can I have your cupboard?

You know the multi-FX thing? I can only get on with multi-FX units because I know a bit about how real pedals and amps work.

Also, I probably have some stuff kicking about that you can have on long term loan if useful? Certainly a Boss Chorus and DS2.
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 533
    What guitar or guitars? Some pedals definitely belong with single coils and others with humbuckers in my view (esp OD, Dist, Fuzz types)
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Any / All of the above plus a "Trio Band Creator" to keep him in time.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Mooer
    Black Secret = Rat
    Black Triangle = Muff (Geddit !)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    TimmyO said:
    Roland said:
    boogieman said:

I nearly added to my OP "please don't say get a multi fx" but thought it superfluous - I guess not :-) 
    if youve got a helix then why dont you give him the 2nd dsp line, you can setup the ins and outs to run totally independently of your signal chain then get something like a behringer FCB1010 so that you can both change patches
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    and a wah
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    If he wanted it he could have the Helix - I don't use it 
    Red ones are better.