Paul Raymond

What's Hot
HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 540
I saw UFO twice on their recent final tour and they remain a top band IMHO with Paul Raymond being a really influential part of the sound. Super talented to play both keyboards and guitar. Also playing the guitar strung upside down better than I ever will the right way up. Everyone should have a copy of Strangers in the Night. It should be compulsory. May you rest in peace.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    I saw him a few times, with UFO (on the Lights Out and Obsessions tours, so contemporary with Strangers In The Night) and MSG.  A great musician!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader
    I'm heartbroken over this...Paul was a regular customer and used Feline to do all his guitar work in recent years. 
    He was kind enough to give us a namecheck in the credits of UFO's last studio album.
    He was a lovely guy and a great player too. 
    Only saw him last week - can't believe he's gone

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    :anguished: So saddened to hear this, the pumping heart of the classic UFO & early MSG lineups :anguished: 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    I'm shocked.  Terrible news.  
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader
    Zodiac51 said:
    :anguished: So saddened to hear this, the pumping heart of the classic UFO & early MSG lineups :anguished: 
    and the first lineup of Waysted too

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• RickydRickyd Frets: 149
    Really sad to hear this especially with a successful tour underway, will be sorely missed. RIP Mr R.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292
    Wow.

It's like Ted McKenna, he's been on a lot of albums that I like and you don't get to be involved in that much good music without being that good.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    Zodiac51 said:
    and the first lineup of Waysted too
    They were great, that first lineup with Fin and Ronnie Kayfield, there was something a bit dangerous about them.  The later incarnation with Danny Vaughn and Paul Chapman was probably better musically, but more tame somehow.
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    edited April 2019
    Really saddened to hear this. 
    I actually heard it for the first time on Johnny Walkers show on Sunday, I was wondering why he was playing Too Hot to Handle.
    Paul really created the essence of the classic UFO line up despite Schenker taking the limelight.

It seems like a part of my youth is passing away every few weeks at the moment.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    I grew up listening to UFO and MSG. Saw Mr Raymond quite a few times with both bands. Thanks Paul for the music. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    This fella played on the soundtrack to my life.
    So many songs... you know when you know songs inside out, every note, everything... because you've listened to the recordings so many times.  Dozens of songs I've loved and still love.
    I didn't hear he'd died till last night.
    It's a strange feeling isn't it?  I didn't know him so there's no pain but there's still this strange feeling that something important has gone and I feel really sad.  It's confusing.
    Crap news. 

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    We used to play Lights Out and Doctor Doctor in my school band.

The fact of life is, though, that we are around for a few years and then we shuffle off to wherever else it is we go.

He's still alive in the music I listen to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom